'On a Mission: How Foundations Are Leveraging Investment Dollars to Impact Health'

'On a Mission: How Foundations Are Leveraging Investment Dollars to Impact Health'

Among select U.S. foundations that made impact investments in the U.S. health sector, program-related investments accounted for 76 percent of the funds invested, while mission-related investments comprised the remaining 24 percent, a report from the California HealthCare Foundation finds. Based on a survey of thirteen foundations — including the California Endowment, the Kresge Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation — the report, On a Mission: How Foundations Are Leveraging Investment Dollars to Impact Health (19 pages, PDF), found that foundations invested in both for-profit (41 percent) and nonprofit organizations (59 percent); and that a majority of the surveyed grantmakers invested in wellness and healthy lifestyle strategies (77 percent), environmental and social determinants of health (62 percent), and care delivery systems (54 percent), with many investing across all three strategies. In addition, the survey found that 62 percent of the foundations operated a paired-grant strategy under which they provided grant funds along with investments in support of start-up activities, training programs, and evaluations.

Featured connections