BRIC is the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn, and one of the largest in New York City. We present and incubate work by artists and media-makers who reflect the diversity of NYC.
Some of BRIC's most acclaimed programs include the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival in Prospect Park; BRIC TV; a renowned contemporary art exhibition series; and Brooklyn Free Speech TV. BRIC also offers education and other vital programs at our main venue, BRIC Arts | Media House, and throughout Brooklyn. BRIC's live programs reach hundreds of thousands of people each year, and in-house produced video content reaches well over a million people annually.
Reporting to BRIC's President, the Director of Marketing & Communications leads all marketing and communication activities for BRIC, developing strategies for and overseeing execution of BRIC's efforts to attract audiences and program participants, and providing leadership for maintaining and increasing institutional visibility.
Leading a highly effective and enthusiastic team of six, and working closely with BRIC's executive leadership and multi-disciplinary program heads, the Director advances stakeholder/public understanding and awareness of BRIC as a Brooklyn-focused video network, performing arts presenter, contemporary art presenter, and incubator of new work and the careers of emerging artists and media makers.
The Director is a key member of BRIC's senior leadership team, and works across BRIC's programs in arts, media and education. The position calls for a creative, concise, nimble, strategic thinker, and a highly collaborative individual adept at communicating (sometimes complex) messaging to a diverse external audience base, including program attendees and participants, donors, government agencies and other stakeholders.
- Develop and oversee execution of a comprehensive organization-wide marketing plan, including programmatic marketing plans, institutional marketing plans, and digital strategies, to help attract audiences (for free and ticketed events and for video content), and advance the public/stakeholder awareness and understanding of BRIC and its offerings.
- Provide daily oversight of all BRIC marketing efforts, and foster strong communication and collaboration among different work teams, maximizing synergies across teams and programs.
- Oversee advancement of branding strategies; provide input on and approve all creative designs and marketing materials and output
- Oversee implementation of BRIC's ticketing operations
- Direct strategies for BRIC's website and digital channels to maintain and evolve BRIC's online persona and ensure timely information on BRIC events and programs.
- Develop and oversee strong assessment practices of, including participant and member surveys, analytics of digital marketing and content, key metrics for audience attendance/viewership and participation; and report on insights and develop action plans in response to those insights.
- Track and implement innovative marketing ideas and trends
- Oversee development of print communications including the annual report and season brochures, and electronic communications
- Develop and coordinate execution of a comprehensive strategy to refine and communicate key messages, and advance institutional and programmatic goals, including audience and stakeholder/funder awareness of our activities.
- Working with external consultants, help BRIC develop meaningful and sustained relationships with the press and other key media sources
- Support BRIC's President in crafting a compelling presentation of BRIC's mission, vision, and defining characteristics
- Identify and prioritize communications opportunities and execute strategies to support them.
- Working with BRIC's Director of Development and Chief Revenue Strategist, oversee creation of materials to support fundraising and membership acquisition and corporate sponsorship program, including an annual appeal, gala materials and other materials related to fundraising and sponsorship.
- Play a leadership role with BRIC's executive team to address emergency and crisis communications
- Work closely with contracted publicist to engage, cultivate and manage press relationships for institutional and programmatic news, to maintain press lists, and draft and review press releases.
- Prepare/coach senior staff in communications activities.
- Prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Coordinate marketing initiatives with members of the Downtown Brooklyn Arts Alliance and other external partners.
Management, Administration and other
- Lead a six-person marketing team, including an in-house graphic designer, providing direction, goals, career development and mentoring. Ensure professional development and ongoing learning opportunities are provided for the team.
- Oversee major projects to develop, maintain, and overhaul various marketing and public facing channels such as the website, YouTube Channels, and BRIC's Artist Registry
- Develop marketing budgets and ensure appropriate spending in regards to all budgets. Manage vendor relationships.
- Advise and brief regularly with President on marketing and press issues; collaborate with senior management team on marketing.
- Provide regular reports to BRIC's Board of Directors and marketing committee on marketing strategies and results.
- At least 7 years of experience in marketing and press relations, preferably for a cultural organization and/or video content distributor.
- Strong interest in digital and proven track record in digital marketing
- At least three years of management and supervisory experience.
- Experience in audience assessment and development.
- Experience in video marketing and ticket sales.
- Excellent planning, writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail; flexible approach to last minute developments.
- Experience in team-building and working effectively in a fast-paced, multi-program environment.
- Good sense of humor, enthusiastic manner, and dedication to team morale and professional growth.
BRIC is a busy, multi-faceted organization and the workload reflects this.
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with subject line: Director of Marketing & Communications. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
BRIC is an equal opportunity employer.