Vote Solar is a non-profit public advocacy organization with the mission of bringing solar energy into the mainstream across the United States. Our high-impact team is in search of a Development Director to help supercharge our fundraising efforts.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and works in collaboration with all team members. The Development Director is responsible for designing and implementing a fundraising strategy to grow the organization's budget, developing and maintaining relationships with funders (including foundations, corporate and major donors), overseeing production and delivery of grant materials and other development materials, maintaining and expanding Vote Solar's individual, corporate and online donor bases, identifying and developing new revenue opportunities, and throwing really fun parties. The Development Director supervises the Manager of Investment Partnerships whose primary focus is major gifts, events, corporate giving and online/individual giving programs.
The Development Director is responsible for designing and implementing a development strategy to help the organization sustain its current activities and continue to grow in size and effectiveness. The core job responsibilities include:
- Designing and executing a multi-channel development strategy that meets Vote Solar's funding goals as set by the management team.
- Maintaining and expanding Vote Solar's foundation relationships and revenues, including writing grant proposals and reports for existing funders.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of major donor, corporate and individual giving programs.
- Creating and maintaining tools and systems that support the development function at Vote Solar.
- Identifying new revenue opportunities, and designing and implementing new programs to take advantage of them.
- Ensuring a range of administrative tasks that support the development function are completed, such as processing checks, scheduling meetings, taking and distributing notes from development calls, and writing thank you notes and other related tasks.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE:
- 5+ years of non-profit fundraising experience or a demonstrated track record that matches this experience.
- Experience developing and executing a multi-channel fundraising plan.
- Track record of success securing funding from foundations, including experience identifying new foundation targets, building and maintaining relationships and writing grant proposals and reports.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong relationship-building capabilities.
- Self-starter who can work with Executive Director to set and execute priorities.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload and handle several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to quickly learn how to best navigate the energy advocacy funder landscape.
- Ability to manage work effectively across multiple teams including senior management.
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Passion for building strong new development capacity at our growing organization.
- Experience managing a major gifts program.
- Experience managing fundraising events, corporate giving, and online/individual giving programs.
- Experience helping grow a $3.5M organization to one with a budget of greater than $5M.
Vote Solar's organizational culture values humor, kindness and respect in interpersonal relationships, working hard and effectively, and a passion for winning.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits: Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan. Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to expand the diversity of its staff.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the job, and several writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: 'Development Director Application'. No calls please.