The Shed is New York's new center for artistic invention. We will work with original artists and leading minds from across all art forms and disciplines. We will welcome those who take risks, advance their fields and address the significant issues of our time. We will commission and present their work for the widest range of audiences from NYC and around the world.
Our new building will open in early 2019 on the west side of Manhattan where the High Line meets Hudson Yards. It will feature versatile spaces for the broadest range of performance, music, visual art, multi-disciplinary work, events, and a free experimental lab for local artists.
The Shed, a registered 501c3 nonprofit cultural organization, will rely on a mix of philanthropic contributions and earned revenue to empower our artists and partners to realize their ambitions. Before our building opens, we will produce and present a series of new works at other NYC sites. We are approximately 70% toward our capital goal, and are concurrently raising programmatic funds to support the long-term sustainability of the institution.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for overseeing the cultivation of qualified prospects, solicitation of donors to the current capital campaign and program support, and stewardship of existing and new donors alike. The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Chief Development Officer and will work closely with the Commissioning Circle, a group of major donors tied to the advancement of new production at The Shed. We seek an individual to join our team who has a demonstrated track record of success in major gifts fundraising and can contribute to our progressive, creative, and inclusive organization and office environment.
- Create a personal portfolio of donors and prospects and manage communications with your portfolio through face-to-face cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship meetings.
- Coordinate the development of solicitation strategy for key prospects and advance the internal planning needed to support those efforts, ensuring that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Support the development and implementation of a moves management approach to the major gift fundraising effort.
- Expand the major gift prospect pool by building relationships, identifying new potential candidates, and acting on data and prospect research.
- Develop prospects and create solicitation strategies in support of The Shed's artistic program, high-level membership/subscriber program, planned giving, and other giving mechanisms.
- Support the fundraising efforts of high-level volunteers, including the Board of Directors and leadership staff in securing new and renewed gifts.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to program and run the Commissioning Circle, our high-level giving circle that supports The Shed's programming.
- Conceive of and execute a dynamic calendar of cultivation and stewardship events that engage donors and prospects in the organization's mission and program.
- Write and track proposals for significant individual solicitations and contact reports following all meetings with donors and prospects.
- Ensure timely gift processing and acknowledgement of individual major gifts.
- Strategically grow the major gifts staff and manage the expanding team.
- Maintain integrity, donor trust, and confidentiality at all times.
- Creative, flexible, detail-oriented, self-starter
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate professionally and effectively with volunteers, colleagues, and donors
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Superior organizational skills
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information
- Strong database, software, and writing skills; Tessitura experience a plus
- Experience with Google docs
- Appreciation of The Shed's mission and goals, and interest in performing and visual arts, design, and technology desirable
- Bachelor's degree and at least seven years fundraising experience with a proven track record in major gifts and frontline fundraising preferably at a nonprofit cultural organization
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the title "Major Gifts Officer". Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Shed is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.