Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
Position: Asia Program Research Associate
Reports to: Asia Program Coordinator
Location: New York preferred
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a research associate for its Asia program to research, report, and document attacks on the press in a diverse region where freedom of expression has been facing new challenges in many countries.
The ideal candidate will have passion for and knowledge of press freedom and human rights issues in the Asia region.
Strong research, reporting, and writing skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with a small team, are a must. Strong oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Fluency in a regional language, especially Chinese, Urdu or Bengali, is an asset. The ability to effectively use social media to promote the Asia program’s work and advocacy goals is also an asset.
- Conducting daily research, reporting, and writing in English.
- Monitoring breaking news and events affecting press freedom and journalists in the Asia region and flagging them to Asia Program Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Documenting press freedom violations in the Asia region.
- Working with the Asia Program Coordinator and other CPJ staff on regional advocacy efforts.
- Maintaining the Asia program’s social media pages on Facebook and Twitter; maintaining and expanding the Asia program’s regional network of contacts.
- Working collaboratively with CPJ’s Journalist Assistance Program to help distressed journalists from the Asia region.
In addition, the Asia Research Associate is encouraged to contribute articles on regional press freedom issues to CPJ’s blog and to write such pieces for outside publications.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Experience and Skills:
- Understanding of press freedom issues in the context of Asia.
- Knowledge of the Asia region.
- Capability in a major regional language.
- Regional experience is an asset.
- Proven skills in writing accurately and succinctly.
- Research skills.
How to Apply
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples, and references to email@example.com. Please include "Asia Research Associate" in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Early submission is encouraged.