Leading and guiding more than 200 community colleges in 34 states, Achieving the Dream (ATD) addresses the national imperative to provide increased opportunities for access to and success at community colleges around the nation, particularly for low income students, students of color, and students with barriers to social and economic mobility. Achieving the Dream institutions work to make the difficult institutional changes necessary to improve student success, meet the nation’s skilled workforce needs, and strengthen the middle class. Achieving the Dream is the largest community college reform network in the country, helping more than 4 million community college students have a better economic opportunity and achieve their dreams.
ATD seeks a Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and Communications who is deeply committed to fueling the organization’s ability to close the achievement gap for low/moderate income students and people of color, an imperative for advancing a strong democracy and workforce. In this dynamic role, you will be responsible for building internal momentum and developing ATD’s plan for financial sustainability. Externally, you will develop partnerships with nonprofits and funders whose missions align with our work. This is a unique opportunity to participate in shaping the future direction of our nation’s community colleges and improved outcomes for their students.
A member of the CEO’s Leadership Team, the VP works closely with the CEO, the Board, the leadership team and other key staff. S/he is responsible for the development and stewardship of strategic partnerships and for raising ATD’s visibility through the execution of a fully integrated marketing, media and communications strategy. The VP is also accountable for meeting ambitious fundraising goals through securing foundation, corporate and government support as steps toward achieving financial sustainability and will lead a team consisting of a Development Officer, a Director of Communications and Media Relations, and a digital content specialist.
- Provide overall leadership to the development and implementation of ATD’s strategy for strategic partnerships, fund development, marketing, and communications initiatives
- In partnership with the CEO’s Leadership Team, develop criteria to define key strategic partnerships (nonprofit and funder) to advance ATD in alignment with our strategic plan and implement a plan to secure partnerships that support continued financial stability
- Create comprehensive fundraising strategy and lead the team to execute against ambitious goals, including identifying, cultivating and soliciting funding from impact investors, foundations, corporations and government sources
- Develop and implement a stewardship plan to maintain and strengthen key long-term relationships with all impact investors and stakeholders
- Provide regular reports and updates on strategy and progress in meeting partnership and funding goals to the Board of Directors; serve as primary liaison to the Board of Directors’ Development Committee
- Create a membership/sponsorship program and implement a plan to secure these funds
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive communications and branding strategy to effectively engage investors, nonprofit partners, network community colleges, and higher education stakeholders in the organization’s work, with a focus on increasing visibility, effective recruitment and retention of member colleges, and dissemination of learnings and research
- Actively participate in external speaking events including engagements at industry gatherings where target investors are present. Use these opportunities to deepen relationships with current investors and to advance strategies and secure potential investors.
- Passionate about expanding economic opportunities for low and moderate income students attending community colleges
- Minimum 10 years of experience at a senior level within a growing national nonprofit, educational institution, or social enterprise, with responsibilities for development and implementation of a multi-year strategic plan for revenue growth thru strategic marketing
- Successful track record securing corporate and foundation support at the national level through grant writing and management; success in securing government grants a plus
- Experience in securing strategic partnership agreements to advance an organization’s mission
- Experience with or knowledge of communications, media relations and marketing
- Strong negotiation and multi-stakeholder consensus-building skills are required, along with strong oral, written and presentation skills
- Strategic thinker, self-directed leader and a collaborative team member
- Proven success with staff management and enthusiasm for mentoring junior colleagues
- Microsoft Office skills and familiarity with social media, Google Apps and mobile devices required; experience using Salesforce helpful
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree preferred
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Karen Stout at: http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000kO54J&tSource= Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Achieving the Dream, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Achieving the Dream, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.
About Commongood Careers
Achieving the Dream has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a VP for Strategic Partnerships and Communications. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.