For 25 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, public health and consumers. Our community-based grantmaking approach supports environmental and social justice programs throughout California and the West Coast, and our New Voices Are Rising program is training the next generation of environmental justice leaders through community engagement with local high school students. The Foundation's office in downtown Oakland is highly accessible by public-transit and bike-friendly; there are six full-time staff members, plus four interns.
The ideal candidate cares deeply about environmental conservation, consumer protection social justice and youth leadership. S/he has at least three years experience working in fundraising, communications and data management, and wants to use these skills to help the Rose Foundation tell its story to institutional funders, individual donors, and community members. S/he thrives on being a key member of a close-knit team, and is comfortable striking a balance between pursuing planned goals and being nimble in response to emerging opportunities. S/he is a good writer, has a sharp eye for graphics, understands data management, enjoys utilizing a variety of web-based communications and social media channels, and has a creative approach towards marketing and putting the FUN into fundraising. This opportunity has significant growth potential for a candidate committed to a career in fundraising, communications and non-profit leadership.
- Coordinate outreach to foundation and governmental funders: Conduct prospect research, help staff and outside partners in proposal writing, track deadlines and deliverables, and help produce grant reports. (40%)
- Coordinate communications and the donor stewardship: Produce monthly e-newsletter and bi-annual print newsletter. Help maintain website (wordpress) and outreach channels (especially Vertical Response and Facebook). Help the ED cultivate long-term donor relationships and increased giving. Coordinate annual appeal and crowd funding campaigns, and generate acknowledgments. Manage donor database (Filemaker Pro). (40%)
- Help market Rose's innovative mitigation and cy pres trustee program: Produce reports and other materials describing our innovative program that utilizes environmental mitigation settlements and consumer cy pres awards to fuel environmental and consumer protection grantmaking. (10%)
- Help manage overall development and communications activities: Work closely with the Executive Director to update and implement the annual Development Plan with quantitative goals and a timeline related to the Rose Foundation's $1 million annual operating budget and $3-5 million annual grants awarded budget. Help every staff member contribute to communications with blogs, posts and pictures. Supervise the Development Intern and support the board Development Committee. (10%)
- Strong grantwriting skills, with experience securing governmental and private foundation grants.
- Experience in data management, crowdfunding and mailing applications, website maintenance and social media.
- 3+ years of development or communications experience, including at least some experience in a specifically fundraising role, and a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college.
- Passion for the Rose Foundation's community-oriented environmental, consumer and social justice focus, and the ability to articulate the Foundation's work to diverse audiences.
- Ability to maintain a sense of humor and perspective while multi-tasking, a collaborative problem-solving approach that balances big-picture issues with fine-grained detail, and openness to learning from others.
- Must have a valid drivers license, be willing to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends, be able to sit at a standard desk for periods of two hours or more, and occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
Competitive salary, DOE. Benefits include vacation leave, family leave, full medical, dental and vision benefits, matched retirement savings, FSA, sabbatical program and professional development opportunities.
The Rose Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity, and women, people of color and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Send resume, a cover letter that discusses why you are a great fit for the Rose Foundation and this position, and a writing sample to: email@example.com. Please write "Development & Communications Manager" in the subject line.