The Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) program funds innovative work that addresses population growth and promotes positive reproductive health and rights. It is one of four core programs at the David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) based in downtown Los Altos, CA. This position provides administrative and operational assistance to the PRH team to support the work of the program.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years. We work on the issues our founders cared about most: improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
A staff of 125 conducts the operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Population and Reproductive Health Program
The PRH program works to promote women’s reproductive health and rights, including focused efforts in South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and the United States. We make grants to strengthen service delivery systems, build leadership and advocacy capacity, and change social norms that undermine sexual and reproductive health and prevent women and girls from making their own reproductive choices and accessing services. A staff of 10 in
Los Altos collaborates with teams of advisors located in Addis Ababa, New Delhi, Karachi, and New Orleans.
Program Operations Assistant
We seek a flexible and proactive assistant to perform administrative and operations support with the related work experience and judgment to handle multiple tasks well. The percentages below are estimates.
Administrative Support (60%)
- Manage complex travel logistics, perform research, manage itineraries, draft and compile materials/binders for travelers, reserve meeting spaces, and coordinate with local advisors
- Process expenses for the PRH team
- Research and book travel arrangements for staff and guests, and coordinate reimbursement and honorarium processing for guests
- Assist with calendar management for program officers as needed
- Schedule and support preparation for program-wide meetings, including regular staff meetings and quarterly learning sessions, as well as large scale meetings and events requiring coordination with staff, facilities, and catering
- Represent the PRH program on cross-foundation teams and perform other duties or projects as needed
Operations Support (25%)
- Reconcile expenses with the budget and update monthly projections
- Process invoices
- Coordinate service provider/consultant onboarding, including compliance approval, tax forms, and invoicing procedures
- Prepare Excel trackers for various financial or budgeting processes
- Maintain shared drive organization and document archives
- Build strong relationships with and serve as the point of contact for other Foundation departments, including the Controller’s Office, Workplace Services, IT, and Facilities, and stay up to date and follow related operations policies and processes
Grants Management Support (15%)
- Create grant files from proposal documents using Fluxx, as requested
- Proofread grant summaries and check file details in Fluxx
- Pull reports, including historical grant and budget data, as requested
- Monitor general program email inbox, review inquiries, and coordinate appropriate response
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience in a professional environment
- BA/BS preferred or equivalent education and related work experience
- Strong aptitude for, and interest in, administrative, financial, and operational processes
- Experience with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint and ability to learn other software as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled in event or meeting management, with the highest degree of attention to detail and demonstrated poise under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with a variety of stakeholders and treat all with courtesy and warmth
- Handles multiple priorities and meets deadlines, and anticipates and proactively responds to work requests
- Demonstrates positive attitude and values collaboration and teamwork
- Interest in reproductive health issues, including family planning/contraception, abortion care, and comprehensive sexuality education
- Demonstrated respect for diversity and multicultural sensitivity; international experience a plus
- Consistent and dependable for full-time work and able to work overtime when needed
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with education and related work experience. The position is full-time, nonexempt, and located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to sit at a desk for 2-3 hours at a time, lift and move documents and supplies not to exceed 25 lbs., and bend to file and retrieve documents.
How to Apply
Please send an email referring to job number 17-11-3100R in the subject line along with a resume and one-page cover letter explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.
More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.