The National Alliance to End Homelessness (Alliance) is a nonprofit, non-partisan organization committed to preventing and ending homelessness in the United States. The Alliance works collaboratively with public, private, and nonprofit partners to develop and advocate for federal policy solutions, and to build state and local capacity to help communities across the country achieve their goals for preventing and ending homelessness. The Alliance is a leading voice on federal homelessness programs and policy.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Development Coordinator supports a broad range of fund development and communications activities for the organization including: cultivation and management of foundation, corporation, and campaign relationships and applications, special events, annual fund appeals, database management and donor correspondence.
Chief Operating Officer
- Work with executive staff and Board to develop annual budget and fundraising goals.
- In consultation with the President and Chief Operating Officer, create and implement a strategic development plan.
- Conduct extensive research and report on prospective opportunities to approach foundations, corporations, relevant government contracting agencies, and individual donors for funding of programs and specific projects.
- Coordinate all aspects of the grants management process, including tracking progress of grant proposals, schedules of required reports, responding to foundation representatives’ questions and conducting the required follow up necessary to secure grants. Contribute to the creation of these products, as appropriate.
- Gather, collate, review, edit, and finalize grant proposals submitted on behalf of the Alliance, in advance of submission to foundations, corporations, and other prospective funders. Contribute to the creation of proposals, as appropriate.
- Organize supplemental documentation (i.e. budgets, timelines, pictures, CD’s, etc.) as needed and requested for specific grant proposals, reports, annual appeals, and sponsorship solicitation.
- Work with program staff to collect, organize, and share information for accurate grant reporting to funders.
- Manage and track relationships with all donors and prospects.
- Nurture relationships with donors including recognition and other activities as appropriate.
- Identify and solicit corporate and organizational donors in support of Alliance events.
- Work with Alliance staff to create branding and other opportunities that encourage corporate giving.
- Consult and coordinate with partner organizations, as appropriate.
- Oversee creation of marketing materials and coordinate external messages to funders, community partners, corporate sponsors, individual donors, and the general public.
- Conduct outreach to and build relationships with donor advised funds.
- Represent the organization at meetings with funders, conferences, etc.
- Assist the President and COO, as directed, in keeping members of the Board and Board Committees updated and engaged in Alliance fundraising activities.
- Assist the Board Nominating Committee with research and recruitment of Board candidates, as appropriate.
- Motivate, train and deploy staff in fundraising efforts.
- Participate in professional associations and activities as necessary and appropriate.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the President and COO.
- Enthusiasm about working on ending homelessness in the United States.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles relative to foundations and other institutional funders.
- Strong research skills and knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; particularly strong writing/editing ability is required.
- Ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with a broad range of funders and supporters.
- Capacity to take initiative, build consensus and to work effectively cross-departmentally.
- Bachelor’s degree; and three to five years progressive development experience including cultivation, solicitation, major giving, event organizing, foundation fundraising, and government contracting.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work well on deadline.
Commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package included.
How to Apply
Send résumé, detailed cover letter, and two relevant writing samples to:
Development Coordinator Job Search