Founded in 1986, Youth Villages is a nationally-recognized organization that helps troubled youth and their families live successfully. With a high-performing and dedicated staff of more than 2,800, currently working in 13 states and the District of Columbia, and an annual operating budget over $200 million, the organization serves more than 22,000 emotionally and behaviorally challenged youth annually through its comprehensive, evidence-based programs.
Youth Villages has spent 30 years pioneering an approach that is measurably better for children and their families and provides a remarkably better return on investment for those who fund these services (both public and private). In 2016, 86% percent of the youth served by Youth Villages have remained at home successfully two years after completing the program. Data collected through June of 2015 show that more than 80% of children served though Youth Villages’ in-home services report no trouble with the law, and nearly 90% are in school, graduated from high school, or enrolled in GED classes.
The White Office of Social Innovation recognized Youth Villages in 2009 as a nonprofit with “promising ideas that are transforming communities.” Youth Villages Chief Executive Officer, Patrick Lawler, was named one of “America’s Best Leaders” by U.S. News and World Report and the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
For more information, please visit www.youthvillages.org.
Youth Villages Middle Tennessee provides a broad spectrum of services: Intensive In-home services and YVLIfeset, foster care and adoption services, and residential programs and specialized crisis services. With a focus on continuing to grow its programming and impact on youth and families in Middle Tennessee, Youth Villages is committed to expanding and thoughtfully stewarding its generous funder network, by leveraging staff and Board members in thoughtful cultivation and solicitation of individual donors, foundations, and corporate partners.
Youth Villages Middle Tennessee is seeking an engaging, experienced, and well-networked Director of Development who is committed to serving children and families in Tennessee. Ideal candidates will be accomplished fundraisers who have delivered positive and sustained impact in organizations in which relationship-building and collaboration were critical to success. This individual, in partnership with other Youth Villages Tennessee leaders, the national Chief Development Officer, and the local advisory Board, will develop and execute strategic fundraising plans for the region, with a particular focus on both sustaining and increasing support for the YVLifeSet program.
YVLifeSet, which provides at-risk youth and young adults aging out of the foster care, juvenile justice and mental health systems with intensive in-home support and guidance, was independently evaluated by MDRC through a randomized controlled trial. The program was proven to have statistically significant impact in several domains, including participants’ earnings, housing stability and economic well-being, and improved mental health.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for an engaging and passionate professional to have a major impact within a national organization that is significantly impacting youth and family services in this country.
- Proactively seek new funding sources and maintain relationships with current/past donors by determining the appropriate roles for staff and Board members to play in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects; coordinate and support staff and Board members in executing on donor-specific strategies as needed
- Develop comprehensive, proactive strategies for maximizing giving among existing and prospective major donors
- Identify opportunities to refine existing development processes and systems, or to introduce new ones, in order to ensure that this infrastructure supports the effective functioning of the development team
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of an integrated development strategy, which is aligned with the overall goals and strategic direction of Youth Villages and which incorporates individual donors, corporate partners, foundation grants, event revenue, and government support
- Effectively collaborate with and continue to grow and leverage the local advisory Board to establish a broad base of support from diverse revenue streams
- Oversee the creation and editing of grant proposals and reports, solicitation letters, and individual donor proposals, coordinating among staff and/or with consultants on content
The Director of Development will be an accomplished development professional and an energetic leader who has a passion for the mission of Youth Villages. Specifically, we are seeking an individual with:
- Significant development experience and broad knowledge of fundraising, networking, and relationship-building, with a record of accomplishment in funding relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors, with excellent relationship-building skills and compelling written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative leader who can foster effective and thoughtful partnerships with professional development staff, Board members, and the national and regional teams by providing appropriate direction and support
- Strong strategic ability coupled with the project management skills and results-orientation needed to both operate effectively on a team and also executing independently to achieve results
- Experience working in the greater Nashville philanthropic community and an understanding of fundraising for social services sector
- Deep appreciation for and commitment to Youth Villages’ mission of helping Tennessee’s most vulnerable children and families
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Stephanie Grissom, using the following link:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Youth Villages offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills. Youth Villages is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Youth Villages has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Development. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.