Encore.org is a national nonprofit building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world. Originally called Civic Ventures, Encore.org was founded in 1998 by social entrepreneur Marc Freedman and grew out of a desire to transform the aging of America—one of the most significant demographic shifts of the 21st century—into a powerful, positive source of individual and social renewal. Our ultimate goal is to create a better future for young people and future generations.
The Development Manager is a full-time, exempt position and is based in Encore.org’s office located in The Presidio in San Francisco with flexibility to work from home one or two days per week. Occasional travel is required.
The Development Manager will engage in all areas of development including proposal writing and grants management, individual donor development and stewardship, implementing development office systems, and donor data management.
This position reports to the Vice President, Development and will work in close partnership with the Director of Convenings and Special Projects.
- Foundation and corporate grants: Track grant requirements; assist with proposal and report writing; work with program and evaluation staff to ensure grant deliverables are incorporated into program work plans.
- Individual giving: Track individual donor pipeline and moves management plans; oversee appeals; plan and implement donor cultivation events in key cities. Work directly with leadership team to ensure implementation of prospect/donor management plans and provide support/coaching as needed.
- Systems: Manage fundraising systems (and recommend new systems) to ensure the development function is utilizing our networks, technology, time and resources efficiently, particularly as the resource development program grows.
- Donor communications: Work with the marketing and communications team to develop and implement a plan for regular donor communications and stewardship.
- Administration: Develop materials and provide support to the Board of Directors, CEO, President, and Leadership Team as needed. Work in partnership with the marketing and communications team and serve as a representative of the development team across the organization, as needed.
You’re a strong development generalist with significant experience in the areas of foundation, corporate, and major individual donor development. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You’re a natural people person and you thrive on building internal and external relationships. You possess a positive, can-do attitude and can juggle many important responsibilities at once. You have spot-on instincts about when to forge ahead and when to seek guidance and input from others on the team.
- A strong commitment to Encore.org’s mission and goals.
- Strong project management skills.
- Significant grant writing and grants management experience.
- Significant experience developing funder/individual major donor materials such as donor letters, presentations, funder/donor research, etc.
- Some experience with in-person donor cultivation/stewardship and relationship building.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Salesforce (including project management function) experience essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in nonprofit fundraising/development
A Note on Encore.org’s Culture
Our staff members are part of a social movement that challenges old norms and seeks to establish a new definition of success in later life. We are a small, geographically distributed team, committed to making a significant impact. We attract people who think about how small investments can yield big results in the service of Encore.org’s mission.
We work hard, and we value our colleagues and the causes we dedicate time to outside of working hours. We understand the importance of commitments—family and otherwise—beyond Encore.org. Vacation time is meant to be used.
As an organization focused on deploying human talent in innovative ways, we try to walk the talk. We strive to have an intergenerational team. We also encourage and sometimes require flexible work; results matter more than face time. Many Encore.org positions require some or a great deal of travel; all require the use and mastery of a growing array of virtual tools.
Perhaps most important, Encore.org is in a period of transition and growth. We work in a dynamic environment that values mutual respect, rapid response to changing conditions or new opportunities, flexibility and intelligence, as well as a sense of humor and humility. Those who thrive tend to be creative, entrepreneurial types who are dedicated to our mission and who know how to execute ambitious plans in a lean environment.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume in Word or PDF format. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
Please send your resume to email@example.com. Name your attachment with the format: “LastName DM 2017 Application” (e.g., “Hamilton DM 2017 Application”). Applications that do not follow this format may not be reviewed.
It is Encore.org’s policy to employ, compensate and advance personnel without regard to race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, arrest record and any other characteristic protected by law. We are an Employer of National Service: AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply and to tell us how your service experience has shaped your career.
We are seeking to develop a multigenerational and diverse team. Qualified people of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.