The One Love Foundation, whose mission is to teach young people about how to build healthy relationships, seeks a first-time Managing Director, Development. One Love exists for one reason: Yeardley Love was killed and her death was avoidable. Had anyone in her life truly understood the warning signs of an unhealthy and increasingly dangerous relationship, steps could have been taken to save her life. This realization is the driving force behind One Love’s work today.
Over the last two and a half years, One Love has grown dramatically and is today leading a dynamic, multi-layered social engagement and educational campaign that is making a difference and changing lives. As of April 2017, over 130,000 people have participated in the Escalation Workshop, and nearly sixty million have experienced #ThatsNotLove online. Inspired by what they are learning, young people are getting involved and recruiting their friends, excited to be part of a movement that can change community norms in a way that benefits us all.
One Love’s current budget is $4M per year, but the organization hopes to grow 2-3X over the next three years as its national presence and team expand. The newly created Managing Director, Development position will build and lead this the effort to fund and fuel this growth. In addition to proven experience, the ideal candidate will believe wholeheartedly in the organization’s mission and have an entrepreneurial mindset that can help take One Love and this movement to the next level.
Reporting to the CEO, the Managing Director, Development will work closely with the Board, the Managing Director, Partnerships, and the regional Executive Directors who are building strong local efforts in Baltimore, Boston and San Francisco. He or she will be responsible for establishing a solid development infrastructure that can support rapid growth nationally and in specific regions as well as overseeing One Love’s NYC Tri-State development efforts – including major gifts, special events and community fundraising. The position is based in Westchester County, New York (Bronxville), a 35-minute train ride from Grand Central Station in Manhattan.
- Work closely with the CEO and Managing Director, Partnerships, to design and implement a comprehensive plan for increasing financial support through the entire range of development activities.
- Be an active participant in helping to set strategic initiatives organization-wide. Coordinate development efforts with marketing and communications efforts that will help One Love reach more people with their educational programs and then engage them in an ongoing basis in this movement for change.
- Build plans for developing and diversifying One Love’s donor base and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives, systematically and effectively strengthening the organization’s overall fundraising and donor stewardship capacity.
- Be a “go to” resident expert in development on every subject from major gift solicitation, grant writing, and donor stewardship. Establish clear processes and playbook for best-in-class development efforts.
- Work closely with CEO and Managing Director, Partnerships, to understand and evaluate One Love’s development progress to date. Identify and execute strategies for keeping these supporters personally invested and engage them in helping to expand One Love’s base of support through their networks. Going forward, oversee the annual revenue budgeting process.
- Build a deeper base of supporters in the NYC Tri-State and be the lead relationship manager for these individuals.
- Oversee staff responsible for creating stewardship program, providing donor services, and building donor relationships in the region.
- Staff, organize and lead NYC Tri-State based cultivation and fundraising events. Work closely with regional Executive Directors to plan their own regional based efforts.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Managing Director, Partnerships to establish strategic plans for expanding One Love’s base of foundation support. Identify key prospects for support, write grants, and be lead contact person for initial inquiries.
- Develop a strategic plan for community fundraising. While major gifts have fueled One Love’s growth to date, a movement will be driven by grassroots contributions at every level.
- Build and oversee a best-in-class approach to donor relationship management and embrace technology and data to accomplish this.
- Provide reports and present analyses of progress regularly to Board and senior leaders.
- Assess current approach to fundraising and make recommendations about team structure and responsibilities going forward.
- Establish clear development goals that are consistent with organizational priorities.
- Motivate the team to accomplish these goals, and establish clear performance standards and benchmarks for success.
- Track record of having built and led successful, sustainable development programs. Deep familiarity with best practices in the development field.
- Confidence as a front-line fundraiser; proven track record of cultivating, soliciting and closing major gifts. Outstanding relationship building skills and communication ability required.
- Ability to see the big picture, think strategically, and translate strategy into targeted goals and actions. Experience developing and overseeing implementation of a development strategic plan.
- Experience building, mentoring and managing teams in pursuit of ambitious goals.
- Strong leadership experience; entrepreneurial experience a plus.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Deep passion for One Love’s mission and movement.
- Engaging and approachable demeanor; someone who has a collaborative mindset.
- Polished communicator and excellent writer, able to effectively articulate the case for One Love support.
- High energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at once and to galvanize a team.
- Collaborative, team-driven style.
- Superior organizational, time-management and follow-up skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that embraces experimentation and can quickly pivot where required.
- Sense of humor a plus!
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 10 years of development experience required.
How to Apply
Please send thoughtful cover letter and resume in PDF format to One Love’s Search Consultant: Donna Bonem Rich, CFRE at email@example.com.