Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
Greenpeace is the one of the largest environmental campaigning organizations. We use creative tactics to run effective campaigns that inspire our members and help protect the planet. These environmental campaign areas include climate, protecting the oceans, and stopping deforestation.
Greenpeace lawyers protect the organization by, among other things, ensuring regulatory compliance, identifying and helping to mitigate risks and legally vetting publications, contracts and other documents. They also work with outside counsel to manage civil litigation and defend activists.
In addition to protecting the organization, Greenpeace lawyers help change the world for the better through proactive litigation and other strategic legal initiatives.
The staff attorney will be responsible for handling a variety of legal matters under the supervision of the General Counsel.
- Provide legal advice to Greenpeace staff and project teams.
- Conduct research and write memoranda on various legal issues, including employment, environmental, tax-exempt and criminal law.
- Draft and review contracts, leases and other legal documents.
- Provide pre-publication legal review of information.
- Brief activists on their constitutional rights.
- Conduct risk assessments and implement mitigation measures.
- Coordinate with outside counsel on various legal matters requiring subject area expertise.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
- JD Degree
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong legal research and analysis skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and effectively on multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Commitment to the principles of peaceful direct action.
- Strong commitment to ensuring the organization is an equitable, diverse and inclusive space.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan
Commitment to Diversity:
Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
How to Apply
Please apply on our website application here: https://careers-greenpeace.icims.com/jobs/1147/staff-attorney/login