Young Audiences Arts for Learning is the nation's leading source of arts in education programming, providing dynamic arts learning experiences for over 5 million children and youth each year through its network of 30 affiliates across the country. The purpose of the national Young Audiences organization is to help the broad network of affiliates play a decisive role in all young people's education and development.
The Director of Development and Communications (DDC) is responsible for securing funding from diverse sources (individual, foundation, corporate, government), managing cultivation of and relationships with donors, and overseeing communications and marketing. In conjunction with the National Executive Director (ED), the DDC will develop and oversee the execution of fundraising and communications strategies.
Working with the ED, Director of Finance, and Board Nominating, Benefit and Communications Committees, the DDC will be an active thought partner and key member of the senior management team. The DDC reports directly to the ED and supervises the Development Associate and the Digital Content and Advocacy Associate.
The DDC is a newly created position at YA and represents an exciting opportunity for a fundraising professional to align fundraising and communication efforts, and to develop a branding strategy to articulate the organization’s vision to prospects and constituents.
National Executive Director
- Establish and implement a comprehensive organizational strategy and program for fundraising
- Support, prepare and strategically deploy the ED with key potential donors from all constituencies
- Design and implement an effective major gifts program, cultivate prospects, and plan annual development events
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with prospective and current board members and donors
- Strengthen and drive board participation in fundraising efforts
- In collaboration with the ED and board of directors, identify and solicit current and prospective high net worth donors
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to align financial and fundraising strategies, identify shared metrics, and develop protocols around grant reporting and donation tracking
- Shape, manage and drive the implementation of an effective outreach and communication campaign
- Ensure that donor communications are effectively integrated into overall organizational communications platforms
- Supervise the production of press releases, publications, videos, printed materials and social media communications
- Work with the ED to promote the mission of YA with an emphasis on enhancing understanding of, and financial support for, YA's work
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Strategic approach to development with a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience executing fundraising efforts in a nonprofit organization
- Record of success in organizing and implementing diverse fundraising strategies, adhering to financial goals, identifying and analyzing problems, and formulating creative solutions
- Proven ability to lead communications efforts and execute advocacy-related, profile-raising communications
- Knowledge of website administration, social media, and online communications applications
- Strong strategic, interpersonal, negotiation and diplomacy skills
- Facility managing and working with outside vendors and service providers
- Commitment to YA's mission and knowledge of arts in education trends
- Strong leadership skills including the capacity to inspire teamwork, build consensus, and motivate a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience building successful working relations with the Board of Directors and high-end donors
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position includes benefits, paid holidays, sick time and vacation.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Young Audiences, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer.