The Girls on the Run NYC Development Officer must possess a passion for and commitment to improving the lives and opportunities of girls in third through eighth grade. The Girls on the Run program provides a safe and interactive way to learn about healthy living which includes an introduction and education on important topics such as goal-setting, cooperation, healthy decision-making, and self-respect, while training for a 5K event. The innovative curriculum teaches girls to listen and open up while also encouraging them to commit to a healthy lifestyle, and harness the inner strength that they possess. Our important mission is accomplished by giving girls the tools to make positive choices for a healthy body and mind, while reducing the many risks they face today. Girls on the NYC is a 501(c)(3) independent council of Girls on the Run International, and currently operates in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens.
The Development Officer reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for cultivating and soliciting corporate sponsorships and partnerships, special event fundraising including annual special event and other events, 5k fundraising initiatives, and annual appeal to ensure that the organization meets contributed income goals. The Development Officer will have significant revenue-generation, relationship building, stewardship, strategy, and implementation responsibilities.
Some of the key responsibilities falling within these areas include:
- Oversee fundraising initiatives through prospecting, outreach, and follow up with potential partners, sponsors, and donors to ensure Girls on the Run achieves fundraising goals.
- Oversee and execute Girls on the Run fundraising special events, including annual benefit each spring.
- Oversee and execute year-end annual appeal.
- Create and execute creative outreach strategies and follow-up to ensure Girls on the Run secures new sponsors in the areas of program, 5k and special events.
- Develop positive relationships with partners, sponsors, volunteers, board members, community members and staff.
- Liaise and coordinate with staff, board and volunteers to advance donor engagement, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Attend industry events to cultivate new partner relationships and increase awareness of Girls on the Run.
- Work in collaboration with Executive Director to ensure revenue goals are met.
- Any other duties deemed necessary by Executive Director.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Available to work some hours during some weekends and evenings, including for fundraising events, the Girls on the Run 5k each fall and spring, and other organizational events such as volunteer events.
- Computer competence including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management knowledge.
- Willing to undergo a background check.
- Understanding and ability to work well in a small office setting, function as a team player on a range of projects, and also work independently on assigned duties.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and leverage those relationships to cultivate additional opportunities
- Track record of success securing funding from corporations, including: identifying new targets, building and maintaining relationships and writing and presenting partnership proposals.
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture.
- Passion for Girls on the Run mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-esteem, body image and whole-person health.
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude.
How to Apply
To apply for this full-time position, email your cover letter and resume with the position title "Development Officer" in the subject line to email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin July 25, 2017.