For nearly 15 years, Red Hook Initiative (RHI) has nurtured young people in Red Hook, Brooklyn, to be inspired, resilient and healthy, and to envision themselves as co-creators of their lives, community and society. RHI has grown steadily in recent years, expanding its facility and programs to reach growing numbers of youth in middle school through age 24, as well as its community building and community hiring programs. Currently, the organization has a $4M budget with a plan for modest but steady growth. The organization is rich with recognition — for excellence in nonprofit management, for serving as the epicenter of post-Hurricane Sandy relief, and for cutting edge approaches to bridge the digital divide.
The Director of Development works in concert with the Executive Director and Board Fundraising Committee to increase RHI's financial sustainability through foundation and corporate grants, sponsorships, events and major gifts. The Director of Development will be responsible for developing fundraising strategies, particularly for a growing individual donor base. The Director of Development will oversee communications, plan and coordinate fundraising events, and assist in launching and overseeing a volunteer program. The Development Director will maintain strong relationships with donors and cultivate new relationships with potential contributors. The ideal candidate will use his or her creativity, energy, natural networking skills and comfort making persuasive pitches to ensure that RHI can continue to serve over 5,000 residents each year.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Development Manager andVolunteer Coordinator;Grants Writer, Event Planner, Graphic Designer (long-term consultants)
The responsibilities of the Director of Development include but are not limited to:
Create and manage fundraising strategies
- Support the Executive Director and Board of Directors in developing and implementing an organization-wide development strategy and growth plan.
- Develop a strategic plan to diversify RHI's funding base and leverage existing resources to identify and tap into new networks of supporters.
- Manage fundraising efforts of board and non-board volunteers related to individual giving.
- Research philanthropic interests of prospective funders and develop and implement strategies for engagement; funders may include foundations, corporations, and individuals.
- Utilize RHI's donor database (Salesforce) to identify patterns and trends that inform fundraising strategies; analyze monthly reports and modify approach based on fundraising projections.
Develop and manage effective methods of communication
- Create and manage annual communications strategy to ensure regular, tailored and timely communication through email, website, and printed materials.
- Manage Development Associate in keeping website and social media content engaging, up-to-date and in synch with broader fundraising messages and goals.
- Oversee the creation of presentation materials and funding proposals, and prepare reports or other information required by donors.
Plan fundraising events and volunteer opportunities
- Work with board and staff to plan fundraising events.
- Manage external relationships with vendors and corporate sponsors.
- Develop and manage event planning committees.
- Oversee Volunteer Coordinator and integrate volunteer program with development strategy.
Provide staff supervision and agency leadership
- Manage a development team, including the Development Associate, Volunteer Coordinator, volunteer board members, consultants and vendors.
- Provide individualized, weekly supervision to direct reports to support professional growth.
- Attend all staff meetings and planning meetings; engage and educate RHI staff in principles of philanthropy.
- Work closely with the Chief Program Officer and Chief Operating Officer to ensure all development initiatives are linked to programs/programming cycles and are executed as efficiently as possible.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Red Hook Initiative
- Experience being responsible for raising a budget of at least $3M
- Mature, positive and proactive attitude, with excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate quickly and persuasively (verbally and in writing) a compelling case for supporting RHI
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to independently set priorities, support multiple projects and see tasks through to completion
- Collaborative, team-oriented working style, with the ability to think proactively and anticipate needs
- Ability to ensure and foster teamwork, acting as a mentor and positive influence in the office
- Ability to keep accurate records and statistics
- Bachelor's Degree; Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of development or related experience
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
- Familiarity with the New York philanthropic community
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Director of Development" in the subject line.