Jumpstart is a national early education organization that recruits and trains college students and community volunteers to work with preschool children in low-income neighborhoods. Through a research based curriculum, Jumpstart children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed!
The Director of Development is a leader within Jumpstart’s national fundraising team, working closely alongside three other Directors of Development and the Director of Communications. The position is responsible for managing a donor portfolio of approximately $2 million and a state fundraising team of three located in San Francisco and Los Angeles. This individual leads in strategy and related moves management with individual, foundation, corporate, and government sources; and directly manages advisory boards in both Northern California and Southern California.
The Director of Development reports to the Vice President of Development with whom she or he will work closely on all fundraising activities. The Director of Development also partners with members of Jumpstart’s development staff across the network to meet annual revenue goals and advance national fundraising efforts.
- Develop an aggressive fundraising strategy that will achieve established revenue goals. This plan will include moves management with individual, corporate, government, and foundation donors
- Establish and implement strategies for retaining and moving current donors from annual and sustained donors to major donors
- Proactively identify and develop opportunities to grow local donors into national funders, when appropriate
- Participate in in-person cultivation and solicitation meetings with VPs, CDO, CEO, and other staff and/or board members, as appropriate
- Effectively manage fundraising team to maintain a high functioning, efficient and effective staff
- Develop and implement effective appeals (both written and online)
- Coordinate quarterly Advisory Board meetings and effectively steward and leverage members, as appropriate
- Work with development team writers on effective and successful funding proposals and ensure exceptional and timely grant reporting and stewardship
- Promote Jumpstart and support fundraising objectives through the effective design and coordination of major special events
- Work across the Jumpstart network to implement best practices, and share current trends, challenges, and opportunities
- Collaborate and network with other directors and team members across the Jumpstart network
- At least 7 years of experience in fundraising, sales, or development work including the development and implementation of strategic revenue generation plans
- Demonstrated leadership in driving and managing teams to achieve established goals
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, securing, and growing a network of individual, corporate, government, and foundation donors, with evidence of securing gifts of $25,000 and greater
- Strong communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills, with evidence of successful relationship management and donor communications
- Proven success in developing and implementing appeals through both traditional and emerging methodologies
- A track record of successful foundation, corporate and government relationships
- Proven experience in the execution of high-quality and strategic special events
- Comprehensive development operations, systems, analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Energetic, enthusiastic, team-player interested in growing within entrepreneurial environment
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values of learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work preferred
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Salary is competitive; commensurate with education and experience
- Excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and vision plans; generous PTO and sick time; paid holidays; and a 401k plan with an employer match, along with a great work environment
- 15 – 20% travel: in California (primarily Los Angeles) as needed; and travel to Boston, MA for an annual Development Leadership Team retreat is required
How to Apply
Please complete our online application at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=jumpstart&jobId=151458&lang=en_US&source=CC3 (including cover letter and resume). Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload your resume and cover letter to your applicant profile.