CRPE is a non-profit environmental justice organization with offices in Oakland and Delano (Kern County, California). Our mission is to achieve environmental justice and healthy sustainable communities through collective action and the law. We provide legal and technical assistance to the grassroots movement for environmental justice. We combine community organizing, legal representation, policy advocacy and coalition building to build community health, community power, and community resistance in low income communities and communities of color. CRPE strongly believes in the maxims that communities should speak for themselves, and that advocates for environmental justice should be on tap, not on top. Our staff shares a deep commitment to social and racial justice.
The Center on Race, Poverty & the Environment (CRPE) seeks applicants for a Staff Attorney in its Oakland, California office. The position is full-time.
Our legal team collaborates closely with each other and community organizers to achieve a collective impact.
Visit our website at www.crpe-ej.org for background on our work.
- Collaborate with CRPE’s organizers to support community-identified initiatives through community-building activities and advocacy.
- Provide legal representation to residents and grassroots groups in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Participate in CRPE’s communications and fundraising strategies as needed.
- Support and work with low-income communities and communities of color to address health disparities, environmental inequity, and discriminatory regulatory and land-use practices, bringing educational, organizing, technical and legal resources to the communities.
- Work with client groups, organizers, and attorneys to develop community-based, community-led strategies.
- Train community residents to effectively participate before decision-makers in administrative arenas.
- Represent community groups in administrative and judicial fora, using environmental and civil rights laws at the state and federal level.
- Work collaboratively with other organizations in California and nationally to meet community needs.
- Identify and develop legislative solutions to address communities’ needs.
- Attend conferences, prepare policy papers, law review articles and legislative testimony.
- Participate in state and regional environmental justice networks.
- Provide content for CRPE newsletters, social media, and press releases as needed.
- Help develop grant proposals or reports, participate in outreach and planning for events, and cultivate relationships with funders and donors as needed.
- Other duties as may be required.
- J.D. and admission to the California Bar or eligibility for and willingness to take next California bar exam and pass within 1 year of hire.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player, and to take on and complete complex projects.
- Understanding of environmental justice and/or social justice issues through life experiences, work, or education.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Ability to travel occasionally (typically 1-2 times per month.)
- Excellent References.
$50,000 – $57,500 DOE. CRPE offers a generous vacation and comprehensive benefits package.
- Good sense of humor and grace under pressure.
- Detail-oriented, ability to prioritize and follow through with multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Skilled at working across differences and building relationships with colleagues, community members, and allies.
- Highly organized.
How to Apply
CRPE is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQI people, and intersectional candidates to apply.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Caroline Farrell, Executive Director, at email@example.com.