About Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound provides expertise in all areas of reentry law to individuals with past justice involvement, families with incarcerated loved ones, and community based organizations and agencies, so that we more fully live up to our ideals and become a society that supports opportunities for all. As a reentry legal resource hub, we connect a wide range of stakeholders in the existing reentry infrastructure-- community based groups, social service providers, government agencies, employers interested in fair chance hiring, schools and universities-- to help break down the legal and practical barriers people in reentry face. We educate (via a public education model that develops and distributes concrete resources to support and inform people navigating the reentry process), advocate (via a reentry legal hotline, prison letter writing program, and record cleaning and expungement clinics) and reform (bringing the experiences and needs of people directly impacted to advocacy groups and criminal justice reformers at the local, state and national level) with the ultimate goal of transferring knowledge and power from a small group of attorneys to people and communities who have historically been ignored, persecuted, discriminated against and denied their basic rights. At the core of our work is a culture of creative disruption where we constantly challenge ourselves and iterate upon resources and services we offer, to create true pathways to success in reentry and radically transform the reentry experience from one of uncertainty and struggle to success.
Root & Rebound seeks a Manager of National Partnerships Development to join its team, helping to support a new and exciting phase of national expansion. The ideal candidate has significant experience and expertise in fundraising and external relations, is a driven self-starter, and a strategic thinker who possesses strong relationship building skills, and is passionate about Root & Rebound’s mission and model and the opportunity to expand its growth and impact across the country. The ideal candidate is a humble, collaborative, team player who has a measurable track record of success in development, advancement, and organizational growth who is comfortable listening to and taking cues from a diverse set of stakeholders as we grow our programs and impact.
The Manager of National Partnerships Development will be an outward-facing representative of the organization, helping to establish Root & Rebound’s model in new states. The Manager of National Partnerships Development will establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with a network of key partners across the country, including community based organizations, advocacy groups, foundations, departments of corrections, educational institutions, and government agencies. The ideal candidate will work to understand the needs of people directly impacted and the reentry gaps in individual states, and drive recommendations based on those needs. Working alongside the Executive Director and the Development team, the Manager will lay the groundwork to ensure that each new state program has a robust, diverse, and sustainable financial foundation.
In addition, the Manager will be responsible for continually refining the overall expansion strategy and start-up process, and will work with other team members to improve upon the model. This individual will be a proven strategic thinker with the foresight, capacity, and experience to understand and balance a diverse set of constituent needs.
Travel is anticipated to average 50% a year, and the ideal candidate is excited and ready for a job that requires that kind of travel.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating, developing, and nurturing ongoing relationships with stakeholders across the country including jail-, prison-, and community based organizations, government agencies, universities and law schools, private foundations, and major donors
- Increasing the organization’s visibility, impact, and financial resources, by communicating clearly and powerfully about Root & Rebound’s history, impact, and future direction.
- Assessing new sites, mapping need and potential impact, with cost/benefit analysis of key states for growth
- Meeting the fundraising goals and needs of each new site, working closely with Executive Director and the Development Team
- Developing and refining overall expansion strategy including start-up process, replication model, funding structures, and volunteer recruitment & retention strategies
- Creating and implementing best-practices development programs and systems that build on current fundraising activities and create new opportunities.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- 5+ years of related experience in development, consulting, organizational growth and management and/or related business experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience, relevant graduate experience (in business, policy, law, or related fields) is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and criminal justice reform.
- Commitment to needs-based approach to nonprofit growth and management, informed by the individuals and families most impacted.
- A belief in bi-partisanship and collaboration as part of the solution to mass incarceration.
- Strong and persuasive communicator who is able to speak powerfully about Root & Rebound’s history, model, impact, and future work, inspiring others to join us.
- A natural, active listener who treats all others with dignity and respect. An empathic and warm individual with a strong presence.
- Track record of successful relationship building and management.
- Highly competent with presenting and working with budgets and financial reports.
- Willingness to travel (50% of time).
- Flexible, adaptive self starter problems solver and team-player. Ability to work independently and with autonomy, and communicate pro-actively with team.
- Humility, willingness to learn, and desire to be integrally involved in collaborative, team based environment.
Compensation and Benefits
This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience and employment benefits that include medical, vision, and dental care, as well as three weeks of paid time off per year and holiday closures.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample (development related is a plus) and at least three references with contact information in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and references will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.