The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) is a 43-year old New York-based national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, advocacy, and community education. Program priorities include immigrant rights, economic justice for workers, anti-trafficking, housing and environmental justice, and voting rights and civic participation. For more information about AALDEF and its activities, visit our website at http://www.aaldef.org.
AALDEF is seeking a highly-motivated and passionate individual to do community outreach and facilitate organizing efforts in support of Asian immigrants and their families, DACA recipients, and human trafficking survivors.
The community organizer will be involved in the following activities:
- Work with attorneys to advocate for and enforce the legal rights of immigrants and human trafficking survivors and develop community education activities with several Asian ethnic communities;
- Serve as interpreter for client intakes and representation, and assist in translation of legal rights materials.
- Assist attorneys in organizing briefings on proposed federal, state, and local policies affecting immigrants, DACA recipients, and trafficked persons and staffing legal advice clinics at community groups in the Asian American community.
- Detail-oriented, independent, and focused.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in community organizing.
- Knowledge of immigrant rights, human trafficking, and labor and employment-rights issues.
- Familiarity with Asian American community and civil rights issues.
- Ability to speak an Asian language.
- Ability to travel and work on evenings and weekends.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and unedited writing sample to:
Community Organizer Search
99 Hudson Street, 12th floor
New York, NY 10013-2815
Email: email@example.com (put "Community Organizer Position" in the subject line)
DEADLINE: October 2, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis, and the position will be filled as soon as possible.
--AALDEF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer--