The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for almost 20 years.
Over the past year, The Trevor Project has experienced significant growth in its development revenues and the Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will play a key role in identifying new opportunities and supporting the continued growth of the organization in support of an ambitious strategic plan. The MGO is responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual prospects with a five, six, and seven-figure gift capacity. The MGO will be responsible for ensuring The Trevor Project’s major donors and organizational partners have a positive and rewarding philanthropic experience.
Chief Development Officer
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with key members of the leadership team at The Trevor Project to continue refining and enhancing the major/leadership gift program in support of the strategic plan and organizational expansion
- Manage an active portfolio of 75-125 prospects and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies in line with The Trevor Project’s priorities and prospect interest
- Create individual goals for each prospect in your portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and an understanding of the prospect’s capacity and interests
- Oversee stewardship of a high-quality donor experience through developing individual relationships, correspondence, mailings, acknowledgements, and other meaningful opportunities to engage with the organization
- Identify and qualify new individual prospects for The Trevor Project through collaboration with the Board and leadership donors
- Plan major donor events in key cities including identifying hosts and host committee members, writing/delivering speeches and developing talking points for Executive Director & CEO, Board members, and other notable speakers (i.e., “the pitch”)
- Identify, recruit, and train volunteers to augment major gift efforts in conjunction with the Board and Executive team
- Maintain monthly reports and use this data to drive decision making
- Represent The Trevor Project at external functions and events
Who you are:
- Creative. You love challenges, you dream big, and you are excited by developing new ways to raise money and increase an organization’s visibility
- Inspirational. You love working with people and know how to excite them about the opportunities to fund The Trevor Project’s life-saving work
- Deal closer. When you tell people about things, they become interested. You then follow up and can close the deal by getting real donations
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities. You are able to travel up to 40% of the time.
- Experienced. You have a proven track record of closing five, six and seven-figure gifts
- Big picture thinker. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You love to brainstorm and come up with big bold ideas. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage complex projects. You can communicate clearly and concisely
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Fun office environment and passionate team. It’s NBD around here if Katy Perry or Imagine Dragons drops into our office
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
How to Apply
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please apply to the job posting listed directly on our website (http://bit.ly/2x1lqED). To complete the application please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.