Teach For All seeks a part time writer (15 hours per week) to provide writing and social media support to Teach For All CEO and co-founder Wendy Kopp, who is also the founder of Teach For America. Our ideal candidate is a gifted writer who brings a good understanding of and commitment to education issues and social justice and who shares the mission and values of our global network. This individual must be able to write both accessibly and with nuance, help build a strong social media presence, and thrive in a dynamic and diverse organizational environment. This is a one-of-a-kind position that provides an unparalleled opportunity for the right individual to play an integral role elevating Wendy Kopp’s role in the global dialogue on education.
The writer will work with Wendy Kopp and Teach For All’s Public Affairs team to execute and advise on a communications strategy to leverage Wendy Kopp’s voice in the global education dialogue. The Director will draft op-eds, blog, and social media posts, occasional speeches and talking points, and regular internal email communications to the Teach For All community, which includes partners in 45 (and growing) countries.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Communications Strategy and Written Communications
- Participate in the development of and execution of Wendy’s external and internal communications strategy, in support of Teach For All’s organizational and Public Affairs objectives
- Manage and draft communications for Wendy’s staff, network, and public communications including:
- Draft regular community emails to Teach For All staff and supporters
- Draft op-eds, keynote speeches, talking points, and blog posts and help to promote them as needed
- Develop content for Wendy’s social media accounts
- Help to identify and act on opportunities to engage in the global education dialogue by staying abreast of national and international education news, events, and trends through various media
- Coordinate with the Office of the CEO to leverage Wendy’s time effectively
- Prep Wendy for speaking events by coordinating with organizers and drafting talking points and presentations as needed
- Help ensure the Public Affairs team and appropriate staff within the broader organization are informed regarding Wendy’s external writing projects and public engagements.
Desired Skills and Experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum 5 years of writing experience
- Experience in education preferred; passion for social justice and a willingness to learn required
- Previous writing experience required, including previous experience writing articles, talking points, blog posts, and social media posts
- Social media savvy with evidence and knowledge of how to increase presence on social media platforms
- Previous experience working closely with a high-profile principal preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and copy editing skills s
- Highly efficient when managing a high volume of diverse tasks and projects
- Extremely self-motivated
- Able to work in deep collaboration and enjoys an iterative writing process
- Draws satisfaction from supporting another individual towards success and playing an integral behind-the-scenes role
- Strong email communication skills, given Teach For All’s remote work environment, and ability to collaborate in depth through largely written communications
- Strong ability to synthesize feedback from multiple parties
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook & Twitter
- Deep sensitivity to diversity in backgrounds and beliefs (e.g., national, racial, cultural, socioeconomic, political, etc.)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (strong PowerPoint and presentation skills preferred)
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Travel and Hours
Minimal travel is expected (possible occasional travel to speeches or internal staff conferences). Given the fast-paced nature of the role some weekend and evening work will be required.
Candidates for this position must possess a US or European work authorization in order to be considered.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, along with 1-2 writing samples directly online.