Los Pleneros de la 21 is dedicated to fostering awareness, appreciation and understanding of the richness and vitality of Puerto Rican artistic traditions of African descent and Creole, as well as to promoting their further development. Our overall goals are: 1) to present accessible public traditional music programming, 2) to expose inner city youth and others to the cultural heritage of Puerto Rico and encourage their active participation in these traditions, and 3) to perform a repertoire of works embedded in the rich tradition of Puerto Rican folk music to audiences everywhere.
Los Pleneros de la 21 (LP21) seeks a Part-Time Program Coordinator to fulfill a fast-paced, dynamic position in a grassroots and family-based cultural organization. The position is responsible for implementing various tasks and projects at the same time, and works in direct partnership with LP21 leadership to ensure successful and effective implementation and expansion of LP21’s core community programs. S/he is crucial to establishing an effective work environment, and will often act as the first point of contact with LP21’s program partners, audience/participants and other communities relevant to LP21.
This is a particularly exciting time for a Program Coordinator to join our staff. Not only are we currently preparing for the 2017-2018 season, but we are also entering a new era of programming, performance concepts and organizational growth. As we look forward to celebrating our 35th anniversary, veteran and young LP21 artists continue to perform the highest caliber of Bomba-Plena, while our programs continue to expand the practice, performance and appreciation of these genres.
This position is ideal for an emerging arts leader and creative thinker passionate about grassroots and cultural arts administration and arts education programming. This position is part time (approximately 30-35 hours per week, including Saturdays during the regular program year) with opportunities for growth.
- Ensure successful implementation and planning of LP21’s core programming, including the Bomba & Plena Community Workshops, Bomba & Plena In the House and LP21’s Cultural Legacy Initiatives.
- Outline core program objectives during planning phases, determine program schedules and calendars and ensure programs comply with funder and organizational milestones.
- Meet with and oversee program staff and volunteers to ensure effective curriculum, content planning and program management, and communicate program/production logistics.
- Develop, disseminate and manage program development/implementation materials and systems (registration forms, tuition/subscriptions, newsletters, permission slips, etc).
- Facilitate program staff planning, and audience/participant meetings (BPCW).
- With LP21’s executives, manage production and event logistics for special events and LP21’s Cultural Legacy Initiatives.
- Work in tandem with LP21’s Office Manager to ensure proper intake and communication with program participants/registrants.
- Oversee program related logistics, expenditures and revenue.
- Provide on-site support of events and activities, supervise teaching artists and service providers.
- Produce program reports and evaluations, and oversee development, collection and preparation of photography, video and other media support materials during program implementation.
- Prepare, draft all printed program materials/brochures for LP21 programs.
- Develop marketing and promotion calendars to comply with program season and effective audience development.
- Manage program-related marketing/promotion activities, including drafting online correspondence email campaigns and social media engagement strategies.
- Oversee effective and expanded presence on culturally relevant promotional outlets that complement LP21’s family and arts education focused activities.
- Liaise with contracted/program vendors.
- In partnership with the Office Manager participate in the creation, separation and preparation of fund development support materials (grant, grant reporting, etc) - ensure all media assets are current and filed accordingly on the drive.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively
- Demonstrate planning and team management skills
- Adept at Google Apps, Microsoft Office suite, internet/digital technology and social media
- Knowledgeable of online and community cultural/arts education trends
- Commitment to confidentiality, high standards and professional development
- Reliable and approachable demeanor
- Knowledge and genuine interest in Afro-Puerto Rican/Traditional Arts and/or cultural arts expressions
- Working knowledge of computer/graphic design (preferred)
- Comfortable in a growing and lively work environment
- Adventurous self-starter and independent worker able to thrive in small team efforts
- Bilingual Spanish/English (highly preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a similar field/administrative capacity
Commensurate with Experience. LP21 is an EEO group. We recruit, hire, train and promote employees on an individual’s qualifications and merit without regard to gender, age, race, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, disability, veteran status, marital status or natural origin.
Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in related fields).
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and short cover letter with references and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “LP21 Program Coordinator”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. No phone calls please.