At The Learning Alliance, our work is predicated on the question: “What does it take to create a Moonshot community of literate, curious, compassionate lifelong learners who will improve our world?”
The Learning Alliance is a vision-driven, emergent learning nonprofit organization dedicated to ensuring 90 percent of all elementary students are reading on grade level by third grade. Our work is accomplished through innovative, evidenced-based approaches to teaching and learning; strong community collaborations that support children and families; and inspirational philanthropic engagement that provide resources to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
Founded through venture philanthropy, The Learning Alliance has grown exponentially over the past seven years and is excited to announce its first-ever Director of Philanthropic Engagement. The successful candidate will be an experienced and motivated nonprofit professional who can help us build and sustain our strong culture of philanthropy.
The Director of Philanthropic Engagement will lead the development and execution of a fundraising strategy which celebrates the emergent learning culture and extends philanthropic opportunities to others who embrace The Learning Alliance mission. The Director will provide strategic and operational leadership, manage the development function and programs including annual, major, planned and capital gifts. This senior level position is highly creative and collaborative, requiring experience with fundraising mechanics, policies, infrastructure and process development, as well as donor engagement strategies and major gift solicitation.
- Engage and facilitate the Board of Directors’ participation in the fund development process.
- Support President/CEO, Board Chair and key volunteers in deepening donor relationships and increase philanthropic participation.
- Create and coordinate a targeted moves management program for the purposes of acquiring and upgrading major gift donors.
- Plan and execute an annual fund campaign that incorporates acquisition, retention, upgrade and year-end giving goals.
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors with significant giving capacity.
- Develop and participate in executing a plan to deliver timely impact reports to major donors that express the value of their philanthropic investment.
- In partnership with other TLA staff develop a coordinated grants program that ensures effective research, proposal writing, reporting and follow-up on local, state and national grants.
- Work with Community Outreach Manager and Communication Specialists to ensure the philanthropic integrity and donor-centric messaging in TLA collateral material, social media, website, press releases and the TLA annual community report.
- Oversee donor record keeping, gift acknowledgement, and fund development reports, including the supervision of a part-time data-base coordinator.
- Ability to embrace emergent learning principles including, learning from failure and embracing the concept that “breakdowns lead to breakthroughs”
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to plan and implement strategic goals and special projects
- Ability to set and manage a budget
- Ability to build relationships with donors, and motivate and train volunteers and staff
- Ability to complete evolving assignments within a specified time
- Ability to be an effective team member in a predominantly horizontal organizational
- Initiative, good time management skills
- Able and willing to work evenings and weekends if needed
- Ability to exercise discretion and professionalism, and maintain donor and employee confidentiality
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree or master’s degree
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) preferred
- Five years of experience in fund development at a nonprofit, with three years of experience in major gifts fundraising
Compensation will be both competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and a one-page personal position statement based on the primary responsibilities and competencies to email@example.com.