The New York City Anti-Violence Project (AVP) is the largest LGBTQ-specific anti-violence program in the country and reaches over 40,000 people in NYC with life-saving services and programs including a 24-hour crisis hotline, counseling and legal services, and community organizing and public advocacy campaigns. AVP envisions a world in which all LGBTQ and HIV-affected people are safe, respected, and live free from violence. AVP is strongly committed to working with underserved populations within LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities, including low-income survivors and transgender and gender non-conforming people of color.
AVP is also a leader in the field of anti-violence on a state and national level. AVP was key in creating non-discrimination provisions written into the 2013 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), ensuring groundbreaking protections for LGBTQ people and immigrants. AVP was recognized by the White House as a Champion of Change in 2011.
We’re looking for a self-motivated and goal-oriented team member who is passionate about developing and delivering an individual donor program to support our mission. You will serve as our resident individual giving expert, helping to increase individual giving by 5-10% of our overall revenue mix over the next 3 years.
We’ll invite you to join the highly collaborative Development team consisting of the Development Director and Development Coordinator. Your role is to bolster individual giving at all levels, with a focus on major donors. Our goal is to support you but give you the space to take ownership of your portfolio as you identify, rate, and cultivate existing, lapsed, and new individual supporters. You will work closely with our Executive Director, Beverly Tillery, and our Board of Directors, to push forward a comprehensive giving strategy.
You will consistently identify new prospects and opportunities to cultivate relationships. You will build a deep understanding of individual priorities and potential for upgraded gifts to help us reach our short- and long-term goals. That means you’ll have your finger on the pulse of our existing donors and guide their experience with AVP and its work. You’ll support fundraising and cultivation events by creating plans for donor engagement before, during, and after events. You will also advise on online giving strategies.
Director of Development
- Design, develop, and implement an individual fundraising program focused on those with potential to give $1,000 or more annually, with an emphasis on major gifts ($5,000+) and upgrading donors at all levels.
- Set annual individual fundraising goals and budget projections with the Director of Development and Executive Director.
- Identify new and likely individual donor prospects, completing research profiles and strategic recommendations for cultivation tailored to each.
- Create and “manage up” donor cultivation and stewardship plans for Executive Director, Development Director, and Board of Directors.
- Develop your own strong relationships with new and current donors to expand our reach.
- Maintain accurate donor records in collaboration with the Development Coordinator.
- Develop monthly giving program and help coordinate peer-to-peer online giving campaigns
- Support planning and managing fundraising and cultivation events
- A Driven Professional. You’re equipped with 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit development, individual or major giving, or related role. You are committed to a career with impact.
- A Relationship Builder. You are genuinely curious about new people and possess strong listening skills. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity, and makes them feel appreciated.
- Persistent and Optimistic. You are intrinsically motivated and undaunted by ambitious goals. You have the creativity and tenacity to find your way around a “no” answer to a more productive “not right now,” “maybe,” or best yet, “yes.”
- Results Oriented: You are a strategic thinker who always has their end goal in sight – asking for and closing gifts. You are skilled at keeping yourself on track with a portfolio of donors and are highly organized.
Bonus if you are:
- Familiar with the NYC LGBTQ funder landscape.
- Familiar with Raiser’s Edge
The range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000 (FTE with benefits), depending on experience in individual and major giving. AVP’s benefits include health and dental; 403b retirement plan; 15 vacation days (20 after one year), 4 personal days, and 12 federal holidays. We offer a friendly work environment and pride ourselves on our anti-oppressive framework that informs both in our work with LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities externally, and internally with our staff. Learn more at avp.org.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled and interviews will begin immediately with qualified candidates. Send resume and cover letter, 1-2 page writing sample to email@example.com with “Individual Giving Manager” in the subject line. Anticipated start date is late January. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your application!