Cities of Service is a national nonprofit organization that helps mayors and city leaders engage their citizens to build stronger communities. The organization provides technical assistance, programmatic support, planning resources, and funding opportunities to cities and their leadership. Founded in 2009 by New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Cities of Service was originally incubated within Bloomberg Philanthropies and officially spun-off as an independent entity in February 2014. Today, Cities of Service supports a coalition of more than 235 cities, representing nearly 55 million people in 45 states, and more than 10 million people in the U.K.
The communications manager is a member of a three-person communications team that is responsible for spreading awareness of and engagement with Cities of Service’s work. A strong writer with the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences in multiple formats, the communications manager writes and supports the writing of speeches, articles, case studies, and other materials. Working closely with program staff and the director of communications, the communications manager researches city stories and packages them in a variety of formats to share with press, potential funders, and peer organizations. The communications manager leads the development of materials and processes to support cities in storytelling at the local level, and ensures consistent brand representation.
Reporting to the director of communications, the manager works closely with the communications associate and director on a variety of communications-related tasks, including, but not limited to website, social media, editorial planning, and database management.
- Create and edit content, consistent with the organization’s messaging and brand, for outreach to peers, media, cities, and current and potential funders for distribution across a variety of formats, including email, newsletters, printed collateral, web, and digital.
- Identify media stories and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support Cities of Service, and create and implement plans to leverage them.
- Work with program team to develop stories about coalition cities that highlight the impact of Cities of Service programs.
- Work with program team to develop communication materials and processes to support coalition cities.
- Manage media contacts database and support media outreach.
- Create and manage editorial calendar.
- Collaborate with communications team in all areas, including: social media, photo and video asset management, media tracking, information archival, and press outreach.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, including writing engaging content for multiple audiences
- Outstanding demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies and tools
- Ability to work independently, including researching and assessing relevant information to make smart recommendations and decisions
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and continuous learning
- Excellent organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on generating content for a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Strong project manager, with an ability to coordinate deliverables across multiple internal constituents
- Commitment to Cities of Service mission, cities, and nonpartisan advocacy style
- Relationship builder both internally and externally
This is a full time, salaried position with Cities of Service. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Cities of Service is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, physical or mental disability that can be reasonably accommodated, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, political affiliation, military status, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Cities of Service also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception of said characteristics. Cities of Service is proud to be an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni applicants will receive special consideration.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please provide two short (750 words or fewer) professional writing samples that exhibit your ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner and your storytelling skills. Samples can include press releases, blog posts, articles/op-eds, one-pagers, research summaries, or other. Please include three professional references that we may contact in the case that you are chosen as a finalist for the position.