Founded in 1992, African Voices Communications, Inc., a 501c3 not-for-profit arts organization, is devoted to presenting audiences with unique and culturally diverse stories by artists of color in the areas of literature, visual art and film.
For 25 years, African Voices has presented more than 5,000 cultural arts programs and the magazine has published writers and visual artists within the global African Diaspora. The organization’s programs are: Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival & Lecture Series, an annual festival for women filmmakers that attracts more than 2,500 film lovers to Brooklyn and across NYC; the African Voices Reading & Performance Series, a program that presents book signings, workshops, literary readings and professional conferences; and Get Your Read On!, a literacy program that provides arts workshops for young people ages 7-18. African Voices is expanding its programming and seeking dynamic new Board members and leadership to spearhead a five year strategic plan to build capacity.
African Voices is seeking a self-motivated leader to join our Board of Directors and develop a successful fund raising plan to help build the organization’s resources. The candidate must have experience in non-profit and business management. The fund raising chairperson will be responsible for building a team to implement, develop and track key fund raising goals identified in our five-year strategic plan. Candidate must have a MBA or equivalent background in business development. Candidates must possess a passionate love for arts and have a track record in successfully raising and managing funds. The Board meets three times a year and the standing committees work between meetings to accomplish goals set by the full Board. The Fundraising Chairperson will report to the Board Chairperson and Executive Director.
Executive Director and Board Chairperson.
African Voices is seeking candidates with experience in the following skills and experience:
- Excellent Communication skills
- Fundraising & Grant writing
- Law (Non-profit and Employment areas)
- Corporate Giving & Sponsorship
- Governmental Relations & Operations
- Building Organization's Endowment Funds
- local city and state government association and/ or affiliation
- business and finance background understanding accounting principles
- Building Donor base
- Manage board members in projects, as well as outside volunteers
- Candidate must have a MBA or equivalent background experience in business development
- Knowledgeable in policies, laws and best practices governing management of non-profit organizations
Non-compensation Board position.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter with resume to email@example.com