The Assitant Director of Special Events is a key member of the eight-person Development team and responsible for the planning and execution of The Joyce Theater Foundation’s $1MM annual Gala. Over the past decade, the Joyce has greatly increased contributed income from individuals and events. The Joyce is now anticipating another cycle of increased growth and it will be essential to the long-term health of the institution to broaden and deepen its base of individual support. As a result, The Joyce will rely heavily on events as the vehicle to help cultivate and steward high-level donors, as well as upgrade its current portfolio of annual fund supporters.
The Assistant Director of Special Events is responsible for managing all activities related to The Joyce Theater Foundation’s fundraising events, including its annual Gala; Fall fundraising event and auction; opening night receptions for Joyce presentations; donor fulfillment events, including season preview and open rehearsals; and cultivation dinners. In addition, this role is responsible for The Joyce’s Travel program.
Joyce Theater Foundation employees share a rich work experience with colleagues who embrace the institution’s mission of programming and promoting a wide spectrum of dance. An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, The Joyce Theater is committed to an inclusive work environment.
Director of Development
- Organize a calendar of events aligned with and in support of donor benefit fulfilment, as well as the cultivation of high-level patron groups;
- Manage the Annual Gala, including working closely with the Events Committee, constructing various scenarios to meet projected fundraising goals, developing a master timeline and event plan; managing financial projections and reporting; overseeing Gala pre-sales campaign and invitation materials; staff coordination and event volunteer recruitment; and relationships with outside vendors;
- Research, identify and recruit existing donors and new prospects to assume leadership roles for events, such as Co-Chairs, Honorees, Vice Chairs, and Committee Members;
- Manage the Joyce’s Choreographers & Cocktails fall fundraising event, as well as its Travel program.
- Expand the current events calendar to include 3 to 4 on-site events and hosted cultivation dinners.
- Attend performances and development events; act as a public face of the organization with donors and patrons;
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect an optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors;
- Additional duties, as required.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and highly organized, with prior experience in large-scale special events planning and execution. Experience in managing support staff is desirable. Excellent verbal and writing skills, along with professional polish and a friendly, positive personality. A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with Tessitura. A Bachelor’s degree and five or more years fundraising experience relevant to the role will be favorably regarded.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Jane Penn at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.