The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our national Development team as a Development Manager, Leadership Events.
The Manager, Leadership Events in Virginia-West Virginia oversees leadership events in the assigned market in order to meet or exceed fundraising goals. This position manages the Dinner of Champions events in Charleston, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Roanoke and the On the Move in Charlottesville. This position is also responsible for recruiting, training and partnering with corporate executives and volunteers to meet and exceed event campaign goals and will work closely with the logistics team assigned to the territory.
Generates revenue while providing leadership, accountability and direction for volunteer team(s) throughout the assigned event revenue portfolio
- Executing campaign plans, fundraising goals and objectives that support Society strategies; manage the implementation of fundraising plans ensuring that adequate resources are provided to successfully accomplish goals and objectives.
- Manage a defined budget for assigned Leadership Events ensuring that revenue and expenses are effectively tracked, managed and adjusted throughout the fiscal year as indicated or needed; provide progress reports and revenue/expense projections to supervisor.
- Use market research, industry and competitive data to analyze to contribute to future direction to increase fundraising.
- Responsible for establishing, cultivating and securing strong relationships with corporate partners and individual donors.
- Ensure high-end customer service for the Society's contributors.
Collaborate effectively with all Society departments to achieve development goals as well as broader goals, e.g. Chapter, region, and national goals.
- Engage with staff and volunteers to keep local strategies and initiatives in line with organizational priorities and to develop personal and team strengths and leverage continuous learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Individual Giving and Major Gift Team to ensure a unified approach to major donors who are also event participants or corporate sponsors.
- In collaboration with the market leadership team, individual giving/major gift team, corporate team, assign and cultivate relationships with donors, sponsors and vendors.
- Work to ensure that proper mechanisms are in place to appropriately receive and account for donations and expenses.
- Partner with the Marketing department to develop ways to expand the Society's reach and to increase revenue.
- Work to ensure that all donor records are accurately recorded into the national database and to facilitate donor recognition.
Facilitates Volunteer Engagement for fundraising and event experience in the assigned event revenue portfolio
- Increase the number of Society volunteers focused on Leadership Events by recognizing and recruiting talent
- Engage volunteers through meaningful and impactful work that is well defined and structured by employing the strategies, tools and resources in their local market. Identify, develop and grow volunteer capacity (skills and talents) to achieve measurable and sustainable results while removing obstacles.
- Ensure volunteer behaviors are aligned with Society Operating Principles; provide timely feedback and coaching to improve performance and behaviors.
- Ensure that volunteers are fueling the success and expanding the capacity by coaching to and assisting staff with building action-oriented volunteer leadership committees for fundraising (acquisition of sponsors and individual donors) and event experience (the quality of the experience a company and/or individual has from the time they commit through completion of the event) that will be led by the market Leadership Events staff.
- Cultivate volunteers, seeks and provides feedback and shares opportunities for reciprocal growth and learning.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- In lieu of bachelor's degree, 7 or more years of experience will be accepted
- Minimum of 5 years of development and campaign/event experience
- Experience building and leading fundraising committees
- Results driven style and proven track record of sales/fundraising success
- Understanding and experience with corporate and individual giving
- Self-starter, motivated individual who can deliver on goals independently
- Ability to quickly build credibility within and outside of the organization and make an immediate contribution to accomplishing key priorities
- Demonstrated success in building a productive, cohesive team of volunteer leaders
- Creative and energetic individual who functions well within a fast-paced, team environment, which includes cross-department collaboration
- Ability to work well with volunteers, staff and a variety of constituents is essential
- Outstanding customer experience and services abilities
- Superb verbal, written and communication skills, diplomacy, and discretion
- Ability to manage and motivate groups, both internally and externally
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- Advanced computer abilities (MS Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel, on-line fundraising tools, databases)
- Must have access to personal transportation, and be able and willing to drive throughout the state(s) approximately 30% of the time
- Ability to work selected nights and weekends.
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Flexible Work Arrangement Options; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: