Women’s Funding Network is the largest philanthropic network in the world devoted to women and girls, investing over $400 million annually to advance gender equity. Our members, primarily women’s foundations, are nonprofit philanthropic organizations that provide funding, programming and advocacy for women and girls. These organizations have developed over the past 35 years and are rooted in Social Justice Philanthropy, seen by the philanthropic sector as a nontraditional model of philanthropy. This model, however, is deeply rooted in openness practices.
Fund for Shared Insight is a funder collaborative working to improve philanthropy from the inside out. Its work is informed by insights from the people philanthropy serves. Shared Insight emerged from the belief that funders are the most effective and can do the most good in the world if they are more open to sharing with each other what they learn, and open to listening to, and acting on, input from grantees and the people they seek to help.
In 2016-2017, Shared Insight provided more than $2.5-million to support new and existing efforts to advance the culture and practice of foundation openness in the service of effectiveness. Women’s Funding Network was among the grantees awarded funding to explore openness practices.
Women’s Funding Network seeks a skilled writer with proven ability to secure media placements in online and print outlets to share information and knowledge around Women’s Funding Network (WFN) Openness and Transparency research. Our goal is to raise member visibility in the broader philanthropic sector and position women’s foundations as thought leaders. Our members have developed effective practices that engage constituents and their communities in defining needs, responses and leadership to solve complex problems producing significant impact.
Chief Communications and Engagement Officer
- Facilitate placement in key philanthropic and other media publications
- Assess WFN’s communication needs with respect to the FSI content and potential target audiences
- Conduct research on relevant outlets to include guidelines for submission, timelines and processes
- Identify 4-5 potential outlets for content development
- Develop submission timeline
- Have relationships with editors and excellent pitching skills
- Develop articles/thought leadership pieces for targeted publications
- Work in partnership with the Chief Strategist to provide content specificity
- Work in partnership with the Chief Communications and Engagement Officer to ensure stories align with needs, WFN communication strategy and brand.
Engagement will begin immediately and completion of thought leadership pieces is anticipated no later than March 31, 2018. Additional hours necessary to facilitate the process of placement in publications is expected and anticipated. A timeline for submission and subsequent work will be developed in partnership with the Chief Communications and Engagement Officer
The ideal candidate is a highly skilled and published writer with relationships in the philanthropic sector. Minimum 3 years experience writing op-ed's, in-depth analysis and the like in a tone that is relateable and conversational. Proven experience securing placement in medium and top tier media outlets.
Consultant shall be paid at a rate of $100/hr.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter - outlining skills and suitability for the position, resume, writing samples and/or placements to email@example.com .