The Paley Center for Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with locations in New York and Los Angeles, leads the discussion about the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, radio, and emerging platforms for the professional community and media-interested public. Drawing upon its curatorial expertise, renowned programming archive, and close relationships with the leaders of the media community, the Paley Center examines the intersections between media and society. The general public can access the Paley Archive – including special African-American, Hispanic, and LGBT collections – and participate in programs that explore and celebrate the creativity, the innovations, the personalities, and the leaders who are shaping media.
Through the global programs of its Media Council and International Council, the Paley Center also serves as a neutral setting where media professionals can engage in discussion and debate about the evolving media landscape.
Previously known as The Museum of Television & Radio, the Paley Center was founded in 1975 by William S. Paley, a pioneering innovator in the industry. For more information, please visit paleycenter.org.
The Senior Vice President (SVP) Development will have primary responsibility for managing, overseeing and leading all fundraising initiatives, including membership, foundation, corporate and government grants, gala events, sponsorships, major gifts and other sources of contributed income. The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, results-driven, senior development professional with a proven track record of success in cultivating relationships and executing a strategic vision to maximize contributed income.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the SVP Development will serve as a member of the Paley Center’s senior management team and will have a goal of raising $10 million in contributed income annually.The SVP will leverage the Paley Center’s existing donors and identify, cultivate, and secure new philanthropic support and sponsorships. He/she will maintain up-to-date pipelines of prospects and manage all communications with existing and potential donors to ensure the highest level of donor engagement and satisfaction. He/she is also responsible for implementing best practices, keeping up-to-date with fundraising trends, and ensuring that appropriate systems and development procedures are in place.
He/she will oversee a team of fundraising professionals in New York and Los Angeles, who have responsibility for individual giving, membership and patron programs, corporate sponsorships and memberships, galas, foundation and government grants, third party rentals, client services and database management.
- Effectively manage and meet revenue goals to support the Paley Center’s operations in New York City and Los Angeles
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that identifies, secures, and grows the donor base in New York City and Los Angeles to meet fundraising targets, including:
- Corporate, President’s Circle, Patron Circle and Individual Memberships
- Private and corporate foundations and government giving
- Two annual fundraising galas (NY & LA) and a fundraising luncheon (NY)
- Other sources, such as major gifts, capital campaigns and planned giving
- Serve as a front-line solicitor to nurture relationships with existing donors and identify and secure new support to increase contributed income from individuals and institutions
- Develop compelling grant proposals and sponsorship decks to secure support for high-profile annual television festivals, exhibits, and a wide array of public programs featuring celebrities and media leaders and innovators
- Research, identify, and secure new support for two annual Paley Honors galas celebrating achievements in television, one in New York in the Spring and one in the fall in Los Angeles, as well as a Paley Honors luncheon in New York
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts, including increasing membership in the Patron Circle and President’s Circle donor groups
- Monitor all donor information and prepare statistical analysis and reports for the President & CEO and executive team
- Manage all logistics to ensure a seamless execution of Development events
- Supervise and mentor a team of development professionals
- Regularly attend all Paley programs, VIP receptions and donor cultivation events
- Execute on and support other programs and projects as assigned by Paley executive team
- 10+ years of experience raising $10M in contributed income annually, consisting of six and seven-figure fundraising targets
- Knowledge and understanding of the New York and Los Angeles fundraising communities with a strong network of relationships with high net worth individuals, program officers, and corporate social responsibility executives
- Knowledge and understanding of issues and key players in the media/communications industry
- Strong network of personal contacts with the ability to extend, develop and nurture donor relationships
- Highly organized strategic thinker with in-depth knowledge of fundraising methodology including prospect research, proposal preparation, and the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors
- Excellent and proven knowledge of fundraising and best practices
- Experience with budget preparation and managing record keeping and fulfillment
- Must have a proactive, energetic, engaging personality with the ability to communicate (verbal and written) with all levels throughout the organization
- Possess the ability to lead, train, motivate, manage and inspire cross functional teams to their peak performance
- Ability to handle/prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Excellent skills in managing record keeping and fulfillment of membership and sponsorship benefits
- Resourceful, creative and able to solve problems effectively
- Minimum undergraduate university degree
- Bilingual Spanish, a plus
How to Apply
Interested candidates may apply: HumanResources@paleycenter.org
Please write “SVPD - PN” in the subject line.