Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Streetwork Project is the oldest street outreach program for homeless and street-involved youth in New York City. The program has grown from its beginnings in 1984 as a storefront project to encompass both outreach and comprehensive harm reductionservices. The core service is long-term, one-on-one counseling, which is offered in a non-judgemental and holistic manner utilizing a harm reduction approach that focues on building trust, fostering self-esteem, exploring options and choices, and empowering youth to change their high-risk behaviors.
As part of our continuum of services we operate an emergency housing program for homeless youth in NYC, Streetwork Overnight. The Overnight is a 24 bed facility for youth ages 16-21. It is open from 7 pm to 10 am 7 days a week. Residential Youth Advocates work overnight hours to support the youth while they are in our crisis shelter.
Supervising Social Worker
Essential Job Functions:
- Engage adolescents into program structure (harm reduction philosophy, rules, mutual respect)
- Provide case management, prepare case records
- Maintain all nightly client records, files and documentation
- Intake and assess individuals seeking assistance
- Provide reparative interventions using a comprehensive harm reduction approach
- Facilitate access to daily living needs (food, clothes, hygiene supplies, space to rest)
- Provide information to homeless adolescents regarding shelter options
- Advocate on behalf of under 18-year-old clients for Administration for Children’s Services support
- Mediate internal conflicts
- Provide crisis intervention for residents
- Provide group facilitation and conduct educational presentations on HIV/AIDS, risk reduction and topics related to sub-populations of homeless youth
- Participate in staff meetings, staff trainings, and appropriate training workshops
- Serve as a advocate and liaison for clients negotiating the shelter system and other social service programs
Secondary Job Functions:
- Petty Cash reconciliation
- Identification of new resources appropriate for population
- Provide wellness and recreational (engagement) activities
- Coordinate services with other Streetwork staff and on-site legal, medical, and psychiatric service providers
- Meal Preparation
Supervisory Reports: None
Total Staff: 0
- All Streetwork program sites and staff
- All internal Safe Horizon programs and departments that can comprehensively support the client and case plan
- All external agencies and organizations that can provide appropriate services to the client
Knowledge and Skills:
- Compassionate approach to others and openness to new ideas
- Dynamic energy, able to multi-task and negotiate multiple demands on attention
- Non-judgmental approach and ability to empathize with others
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Genuine interest in working with disenfranchised youth and young adults
Understanding of harm reduction perspective
Demonstrate the ability to work independently
Bi-lingual Spanish speaker
GED or High School Diploma
Bachelor’s Degree in social services, creative arts, liberal studies or any field related to working with youth.
- Experience working in a social services setting, OR
- Personal experience with street survival activities (homelessness, gangs, drug economy, sex industry) with three years separation from involvement in these activities. Deep understanding of the relationship between personal experience and professional standards.
At least 1 year working with the homeless population, youth, or harm reduction
Commitment to work evening and overnight shifts
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
How to Apply
Please submit an online application via the following link: https://safehorizon.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=450