ABOUT EDUCATION OUTSIDE
Education Outside’s mission is to advance science education and environmental literacy by teaching outdoors in public schools. We spark children's interest in science and connect them to the natural world through hands-on learning in school gardens. Education Outside employs a service corps of emerging leaders who work full-time at 55 Bay Area public elementary schools to bring nature and science directly into the hands of 20,000+ students.
Education Outside has broad-based funding with an operating budget of nearly $4.5 million this fiscal year. Our program is innovative, effective and scalable, and we have ambitious growth plans to expand in and beyond the San Francisco Bay Area over the next 5 years.
Education Outside is entering a new, exciting phase of growth and expansion. Under its new CEO, the Board of Directors and Leadership Team have crafted a new vision and strategic growth plan that aims to delivery accelerated impact and influence in the environment and science education space over the next 5 years. At this exciting point in Education Outside’s history, we seek an accomplished, self motivated, dynamic and bold fundraising executive to bring entrepreneurial leadership to all of our fundraising and communications efforts. The Vice President (VP) will serve as a key member of the leadership team, actively participating in the strategic decisions affecting Education Outside. In partnership with the CEO, the VP will design and implement a comprehensive plan to cultivate and steward a portfolio of donors to achieve aggressive fundraising goals. The ideal candidate is also an effective and skilled communicator who will forge external alliances that boost Education Outside's brand presence and visibility.
The VP will be responsible for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow Education Outside’s budget through the solicitation of major gifts, government grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. She or he will expand and diversify Education Outside’s donor base/pipeline and will work closely with a team of 5-6 development and communications staff to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the Board of Directors, supporting board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by Education Outside will increase in future years as the VP systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's fundraising capacity.
Chief Executive Officer
- Raise $5M+ annually from individual donors, foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Partner with the CEO and Board of Directors to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, and government grants.
- Serve as a critical member of the leadership team.
- Supervise, develop, and mentor a team of 5 to 6 development and communications staff.
- Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to position Education Outside ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Build EO's individual donor list and create systematic outreach and cultivation strategies based on responses and contributions.
- Lead Education Outside’s overall marketing and communications strategy, including branding, core messaging, and public relations.
- Collaborate with senior leaders to develop and implement Education Outside’s financial strategy.
- Assume full responsibility of proposals and reports process; write and edit proposals and reports to ensure high quality, and archive with an approach to long-term management and stewardship.
- Develop high quality forecasting and tracking systems for all development activities. Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders.
- Establish best practices for development systems, procedures, and ethics.
- 10-plus years of demonstrated professional experience in a development function raising $4-10 million while managing and forging long-term relationships with multiple donor sources.
- Strategic agility with the vision to move development and communications forward to drive periods of fast-paced organizational growth.
- Flexible and adaptive style; a dynamic leader who will positively impact strategic as well as tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Proven experience leading and managing a team to achieve high standards and aggressive goals.
- Tangible experience expanding and cultivating existing donor relationships over time.
- Superb donor, board, corporate relationship management skills.
- Experience leading the planning and implementation of donor cultivation and fundraising events.
- Experience supporting and influencing nonprofit board members.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral; able to present, influence and engage a wide range of donors.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who will productively engage with others at various levels within and outside Education Outside.
- A professional and resourceful approach with the ability to be proactive, take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- High energy and passion for Education Outside’s mission and vision.
- Knowledge of the communities Education Outside serves and their needs.
- A high degree of intercultural competence, and a commitment to building a diverse team.
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant Master’s degree preferred.
This is a full time, exempt position. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, and vision insurance, optional pre-tax plans for commuting and retirement, and generous time-off opportunities. Some flexibility in work schedule may be possible.
How to Apply
If you believe you are the incredible leader we seek for this position, please complete the online application.
Education Outside is an equal opportunity employer striving to create a diverse workforce. We are seeking a diverse candidate pool and welcome candidates from a wide range of backgrounds.