Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The FJCs are an initiative of the Mayor’s Office to Combat Domestic Violence to reduce barriers faced by domestic violence victims who are seeking help. Safe Horizon is co-located at these centers and partners with the Mayor’s Office, the District Attorney’s Office and other civil legal and community-based organizations to provide a safe place for victims to come to receive various services. Safe Horizon staff at the FJC provides crisis intervention, case management services, advocacy, information and referrals, and practical assistance to survivors, providing client-centered safety assessments and risk management plans.
Director Family Justice Center
Essential Job Functions:
- Greet all visitors to the Manhattan FJC (MFJC), including signing them in and assessing their needs to ensure that they are here for DV related issues;
- Provide assistance in navigating the MFJC, family court and criminal justice systems;
- Verify that the client does not have an open criminal court case using E-courts;
- Collaborate with the DA’s office and other on-site partners to ensure services are streamlined
- Direct all visitors to either the reception area to be screened or notifying on-site partners of visitors’ arrival
- Provide telephonic interpretation to access services for clients that speak languages other than English;
- Provide clients with the MFJC list of available services and the client needs sheet;
- Participate in staff meetings, community meetings and relevant trainings and seminars;
- Perform data entry into a computerized record keeping system; and
- Various other duties to be determined by supervisor, including backing up the client services specialist/screener as requested.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Attend internal and external meetings, trainings and workshops;
- Assist with the administration of direct services;
Total staff: 0
- Family Justice Center staff
- District Attorney’s office
- Family Court and Integrated Domestic Violence Court personnel
- Criminal Court personnel (court clerks, court officers, etc.)
- NYCHA staff
- Local social service providers
- Other Safe Horizon staff
Knowledge and Skills:
- Sensitivity towards and understanding of victimization, especially the experience of survivors of domestic violence;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner.
- Ability to generate ones own tasks and develop creative solutions to problems.
A Bachelors degree
- Experience working with survivors of domestic violence;
- Experience with the criminal justice system;
- Some supervisory experience;
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employmentAmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the following link: https://safehorizon.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=473