Trans Lifeline is a national trans-led organization dedicated to improving the quality of trans lives by responding to the critical needs of our community with direct service, material support, advocacy, and education. Our vision is to end transgender suicide and improve overall life-outcomes of transgender people by facilitating justice-oriented, collective community aid.
Since 2015, Trans Lifeline has grown to a project with 16-plus staff and three innovative and impactful service areas: a crisis hotline utilizing a trans-specific peer-support framework and the Microgrants program, which gives both material support and bureaucratic guidance to trans people as well as directs a prisoner support and post-release support project for incarcerated trans folks.
Trans Lifeline is embarking on an exciting new chapter and is in the middle stages of strengthening our organizational foundation so that we can continue to serve our community for years to come. With that in mind, we are seeking a Co-Director to work alongside our current Director to lead the organization into this next phase. This is a full time position located in Oakland, CA. For more information on Trans Lifeline, please visit www.translifeline.org and www.transassistance.org
The Co-Director will have a true passion for Trans Lifeline’s unique model of community-oriented peer support as well as a personal and professional commitment to trans justice, with an emphasis on racial, social and economic intersectionality. The Co-Director will have experience building consensus and working collaboratively with various partners and community members to create a better world for trans folks. The Co-Director will have a proven track record of successfully engaging with funders and donors to secure the financial future of grassroots organizations.
Trans Lifeline Board of Directors
Leadership and Management
- Work with the Co-Director and the Board of Directors to refine and implement the strategic direction of Trans Lifeline while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with our core mission;
- Provide inspirational leadership and maintain a participatory and collaborative culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse and talented staff;
- Supervise select staff and members of the management team in overseeing certain administrative, operational, engagement, and programmatic functions of organization.
- Assess the organizational structure and staffing needs of Trans Lifeline and provide strategic operational direction as we move into the future
- Collaborate with management and staff to grow and sustain a dynamic Board of Directors as necessary;
- In partnership with staff, oversee and implement operations and policy and set the tone for the Trans Lifeline community;
- Update records and oversee compliance in order to maintain our accreditation status.
Fundraising, Resource Development and Fiscal Management
- Build and directly supervise a development team from current staff members;
- In collaboration with the development team, create and implement a robust and diversified fundraising strategy, strengthening relationships with our existing donors, while also seeking new sources of funding;
- In directing the development team, serve as the primary fundraiser responsible for growing and diversifying Trans Lifeline’s fundraising efforts;
- Develop ongoing engagements with foundations and governmental funders;
- Call on the Board of Directors to support and advise in fundraising and budgeting efforts;
- Along with the Co-Director, assume ultimate responsibility for the fiscal management process of the organization, ensuring that Trans Lifeline operates within budget guidelines.
Community and External Relations
- Build and sustain community partnerships in coordination with program staff;
- Promote Trans Lifeline’s work to various external audiences, emphasizing its unique and transformative model.
- Represent the organization and its mission as a community leader, acting with integrity and grace.
The Co-Director will be a passionate, accomplished leader with practical and substantive experience in community-based, grassroots movements. Candidates will have knowledge and expertise regarding the movements for trans justice, with an emphasis on racial, social and economic intersectionality, on a national-scale. Ideal candidates will be familiar and up-to-date with trans specific politics and policy, and have knowledge of community based peer-support direct-service.
Trans Lifeline strongly encourages people with lived experiences in the communities served by our organization to apply. The ideal candidate will have significant fundraising experience and demonstrated ability to manage a dynamic and evolving organization. They will also possess an understanding of the challenges and rewards of working in shared community. Candidates will have a minimum of 3-years relevant experience in organizational leadership, community activism, union leadership, or organizing, along with the following competencies and personal characteristics:
Passion for the Mission: The Co-Director will have a true passion for supporting and empowering the trans community, especially those with the least amount of resources. The Co-Director will have experience building consensus and working collaboratively with various partners, funders, government and elected officials, and community members to improve the life-outcomes of members of the trans community.
Strategic Leadership: The Co-Director will have experience in strategic planning, organizational development, budget, fiscal and personnel management, and the ability to grow and maintain a Board of Directors and lead a self-governed and deeply passionate staff.
Relationship Builder and Collaborator: A natural and deliberate consensus-builder with an understanding of nonprofit power dynamics and leadership development in trans community, the Co-Director will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships across all levels, including with management and staff, the Board of Directors, community partners, funders, donors and government officials and agencies. Politically astute and with the integrity and persistence to drive process forward through collaboration and dedication, the Co-Director will be a colleague and resource to all partners and supporters.
Operational Expertise and Management Experience: The Co-Director will have demonstrated success in leading a diverse, complex, and high-performing organization. This leader will possess the management acumen, supervisory experience, and financial skills needed to direct the operations of Trans Lifeline, and to drive innovation and leverage new opportunities. With a clear perspective on the complexity of the Trans Lifeline model, and experience leading significant organizational change, the Co-Director will be nimble and efficient in managing challenges and will proactively create opportunities to increase the organization’s impact.
Exceptional Communication: The Co-Director will communicate effectively and with integrity to a broad group of stakeholders, including the community, staff, partner agencies, and funders. The Co-Director will be a leader known for honesty, strong diplomacy, and for being an engaged and active listener. This individual will build and enhance the work of Trans Lifeline through strong partnerships.
Technical Proficiency: The Co-Director will possess demonstrated proficiency in fundraising tools, such as Network for Good, Stripe, Moonclerk, Benevity, Paypal Giving Fund, etc; business intelligence programs such as Grow; database tools such as Airtable; cloud based tools such as G-Suite, etc; and many other tools that Trans Lifeline regularly utilizes. A familiarity with more intensive cloud based tools such as Heroku and Twilio is appreciated. Candidates will acknowledge the importance of information security and will adhere to best practices to protect the mission of the organization.
$55,000 - $65,000
No educational requirement.
The Co-Director must be proficient in English, and ideally would be be proficient in Spanish. The more languages spoken, the better!
How to Apply
Please submit a compelling cover letter, a resume, and three professional references that we may contact.
Trans Lifeline is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, people of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, people from low-income backgrounds, and people with personal experience with the criminal justice system. Trans Lifeline strongly encourages applications from people with lived experiences in the communities we serve.