The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an Application Security Engineer to join the Security team working to help protect Wikipedia and our other projects. You'll be working with other developers and security engineers to create new security features, review the security of other people's code, and help find and fix security bugs before they're exploited.
As an Application Security Engineer, we’d like you to do these things:
- Triage and remediate reported security issues
- Work with Security team members to build and maintain security features
- Review and deploy features developed by the Foundation and community members
- Work with other development teams to ensure that they make safe architectural and implementation choices
- Constantly poke and abuse our software to find bugs before attackers do
We’d like you to have these skills:
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- Two or more years of application security experience, including thorough understanding of issues documented in the OWASP Top Ten and CWE Top 25
- Strong understanding of modern, object-oriented PHP development
- Demonstrated ability to exploit and mitigate application-level vulnerabilities
- Experience conducting software security reviews using a combination of source code inspection, manual testing, and automated scanning
- Patience in explaining security issues and their implications on privacy to non-technical audiences
- Sensitivity to the security challenges faced by participants in a large, international project
- Strong understanding of cryptography as applied to web application security (encryption, hashing, PKI management), including analysis and implementation
- Strong knowledge of the use of a scripting language for system administration and automation
- Experience using Linux/Unix at the command line for tasks related to web application development and deployment ("DevOps")
- Ability to maintain focus when working remotely
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Experience as a contributor in the Wikipedia or Wikimedia project communities
- Experience contributing to a consensus-based open source project
- Experience developing, maintaining, or administering authentication systems
- Experience with both relational and NoSQL/key-value data storage mechanisms
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia, the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects, and our mission of free knowledge for every single person. We help bring new knowledge to people around the world, lower barriers to participation, and make it easier for everyone to share what they know. We do this by keeping the Wikimedia projects fast, secure, and available to all, protecting the values and policies that allow free knowledge projects like Wikipedia to thrive, building new features and tools to make it easy to read, edit, and share from the Wikimedia sites, and by supporting the communities of volunteers who make the projects possible.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
How to Apply