APLA Health’s mission is to achieve health care equity and promote well-being for the LGBT and other underserved communities and people living with and affected by HIV. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified health center serving more than 14,000 people annually. We provide 20 different services from 15 locations throughout Los Angeles County, including: medical, dental, and behavioral health care; PrEP counseling and management; health education and HIV prevention; and STD screening and treatment. For people living with HIV, we offer housing support; benefits counseling; home health care; and the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries; among several other critically needed services. Additionally, we are leaders in advocating for policy and legislation that positively impacts the LGBT and HIV communities, provide capacity-building assistance to health departments across the country, and conduct community-based research on issues affecting the communities we serve. For more information, please visit us at aplahealth.org.
APLA Health is currently seeking a Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant to join our Olympic location! We offer great benefits, competitive pay, and great working environment!
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Vision Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Long Term Disability
- Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 10 Vacation Days
- 12 Sick Days
- Metro reimbursement or free parking
- Employer Matched 403b Retirement Plan
APLA Health is a National Health Service Corp approved site.
This is a great opportunity to make a difference!
APLA Health is seeking an adult/family nurse practitioner or physician assistant for its federally qualified health center sites. Clinician will provide comprehensive care within the limitations of professional licensing to patients. APLAHW provides culturally competent medical, dental, and behavioral health services to low-income individuals in Los Angeles County, with a specific focus on the LGBT community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs history and physical examinations on patients over the age of 18.
- Evaluates patients presenting with symptoms of sexually transmitted infections and provides treatment as needed.
- Counsels for pre-exposure prophylaxis and non-occupational post exposure prophylaxis and prescribes as appropriate.
- Performs Pap smears, breast examinations, and other medical services as needed.
- Counsels for birth control and prescribes as appropriate.
- Gathers complete medical history and performs a focused physical exam on each patient presenting with a medical concern.
- Review results of lab tests and diagnostic imaging and arranges appropriate follow-up.
- Provides for the provision of health education to patients and appropriately documents all health education.
- Reviews referral/consultant reports and arranges appropriate follow-up.
- Answers miscellaneous medical questions in the absence of the Clinical Nurse Manager or Medical Director.
- Participates in clinician’s biweekly meetings.
- Participates in peer chart review and quality assurance activities as detailed in the APLAHW Quality Management Plan
- Triages walk-in patients when the nurse is not available at the request of front or back office staff.
- Assists the front office staff in making appropriate arrangements for patients who arrive when the appointment with the provider they were scheduled to see has been canceled (i.e. reviews the medical record and helps determine how soon and where the patient should be seen).
- May be required to act as lead clinical staff in the absence of management.
- This position along with the LVN at the Baldwin Hills site, will supervise the Medical Assistant/HIV- STD Counselor.
OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED TO MEET BUSINESS NEEDS.
Training and Experience:
Possession of the following required: a valid California Registered Nurse (RN) license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN); a valid California Nurse Practitioner (NP) license issued by the California BRN; NP specialization in Acute Medicine, Family Medicine, or Adult Medicine required. Or possession of a valid permanent California License as a Physician Assistant issued by the California Board of Medical Quality Assurance. Must be eligible to participate in Medicare, Medicaid and other federal health care programs. Provider must have a Unique Provider Identification Number (UPIN) and possess current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of two years clinical experience as a Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant.
Previous experience with research (clinical trials, regulatory agencies, data management, case report forms); and familiarity with HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) biology, care, treatment and prevention is preferred. Ability to provide clinical services in a non-judgmental fashion and work effectively with diverse populations; ability to maintain records and follow study protocols. Must be able to work efficiently and complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy; work and solve problems independently; work flexible hours in order to complete tasks and meet client needs. Ability to be flexible in handling unanticipated client needs is required. Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Typing & Computer skill/ability including word-processing, use of spreadsheets, email, and web-based data entry required. Must have experience working with electronic health records. Bilingual (English/Spanish) required. Familiarity with Long Beach clinical landscape is a plus.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
This is primarily an office position that requires only occasional bending, reaching, stooping, lifting and moving of office materials weighing 25 pounds or less. The position requires daily use of a personal computer and requires entering, viewing, and revising text and graphics on the computer terminal and on paper.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license; proof of auto liability insurance; and have the use of a personal vehicle for work related purposes. Clinician may be eligible for loan repayment through National Health Service Corps.
APLA Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Visit our website at www.aplahealth.org to apply or click the link below: