More than 100 events held annually around the world provide the opportunity to learn about Teachers College, Columbia University's cutting-edge research, discuss topical issues of the day, meet leading professionals in a variety of fields, and enjoy the company of peers committed to the College's vision for improving the world. The Office of Sponsored Events proudly participates in this achievement by planning some of TC’s biggest events such as Convocation, Academic Festival, Global TC Day, The Grace Dodge Society Luncheon, Annual Tisch Lecture, The John Dewey Circle Reception, and various conferences and meetings held on and off Campus.
The Office of Sponsored Events seeks an Assistant Director who will report to the Sr. Director of College & Event Planning. The incumbent will be a professional with the ability to juggle multiple deadlines with calm and precision. The job will require rolling up your sleeves when working on logistics for events, detail orientation, initiative and follow through when trafficking all department promotional materials such as invitations, printed programs, logos, E-newsletters, and other electronic and print materials, and planning skills when planning space usage for events.
Sr. Director of College Event Planning
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing 8-10 departments and administrative units: through regular communication and intake sessions, vet events, communicate to the Development & External Affairs (DEA) Dept for External Affairs & Development synergies and determine level of DEA's engagement in supporting the event.
- Assist with event planning, provide advice on best practices and space usage.
- Create custom room drawings.
- Liaise with the Auxiliary Services team on behalf of clients to ensure successful event operations.
- Take the lead on logistics planning on key College-wide events including Academic Festival, the Annual Tisch Lecture and Convocation.
- Manage all room reservations and confirm all room assignments for DEA special events in coordination with room assignments personnel.
- Direct Auxiliary Services team as related to large-scale events which will include: conducting semi-monthly meetings, involving planners of large-scale events to attend meetings as appropriate to brief service providers and working with external clients as a liaison to Auxiliary Services requirements and requests.
- Create custom scale room drawings for DEA events, College-wide events and for department clients using architectural software which will include: create various iterations for event proposals, create set of standard drawings and make available on College Events website and create on demand drawings for offsite venues as possible Manage 2-4 student workers assisting on event execution.
- Liaise between College Events and External Affairs on trafficking all promotional materials.
- Manage event furniture, equipment, and technology which will include: conducting annual assessment, repair and replace, identifying and purchase competitively priced equipment, and researching and identifying new technology solutions for events Manage satellite event office in Cowin Auditorium Confidentiality is important.
- Evening and weekends as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in education and experience
- Excellent organizational skills, initiative, follow-through, and ability to handle competing priorities
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Detail oriented
- Strong problem solver, and logistical and tracking skills
- Reliable and dependable
- Able to consistently maintain the desired work schedule
- Superb interpersonal skills including strong oral, written, and telephone communication
- Excellent computer skills including space planning software
- Special events background - heavy logistics and promo material tracking
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume on our Careers website using the link below: