Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The Masters Level Social Worker provides both direct and indirect social service related assistance to victims of rape and sexual assault. The Masters Level Social Worker provides comprehensive services on campuses of the City University of New York (CUNY), including assessment and case management, counseling, advocacy, referrals, information workshops and support groups, to individuals and families impacted by rape and sexual assault.
Director Community Program
- Provide short term counseling, crisis intervention and advocacy for CUNY and private college institutions students who are victims of rape and sexual assault with criminal justice, educational and mental health systems, among others.
- Facilitate sexual violence primary prevention/community mobilization activities on campus, as directed by the Senior Clinical Director.
- Conduct client-centered intakes and in-depth safety assessments in person or over the phone. Develop risk management plans with clients, reflecting each client’s unique situation.
- Assist in the designing of and co-facilitating of support groups to victims of rape and sexual assault.
- Provide community educational workshops and presentations on campus regarding rape and sexual assault as well as the impact of trauma on victims and providers who assist them.
- Engage in service coordination and collaboration with students and school partners to ensure effective protective actions and strategies are taken on behalf of students.
- Co-lead borough sexual assault task force;
- Participate in staff meetings, community meetings and relevant trainings and seminars.
- Perform data entry into a computerized record keeping system and maintaining thorough and accurate case records and statistics.
- Write and submit timely reports and other administrative requirements.
- Oversee adherence to the NY State Department of Health Confidentiality Privilege Certification
- Various other duties to be determine by supervisor.
None, however provides supervision to student interns.
- Safe Horizon staff
- NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
- CUNY School Staff
- CUNY School of Public Health
- Private college institutions
- Criminal justice personnel
- District Attorney’s Office
- social service providers
- criminal court personnel, including court clerks and court officers
Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s Degree in social work, counseling or related field.
- A sound knowledge of victimization issues, a general knowledge of various treatment modalities (e.g. trauma treatment models, domestic violence treatment models).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Willing and open to being trained in client centered practice
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Willing to participate in a learning community
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills-must have the ability to be assertive
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner.
- Must be a team player plus, be able to work with minimum supervisory oversight
- Flexible, willing to work evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Organized and detail oriented
- Computer literate (including Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Good presentation skills
- Experience working in a social service setting providing short-term counseling
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the following link: https://safehorizon.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=520