The Montclair Art Museum seeks to hire an Assistant Director, Membership & Annual Fund.
Opened in 1914, the Montclair Art Museum (MAM) is recognized by critics and scholars as one of the nation's leading regional art museums. A prominent landmark in the suburban New Jersey town that shares its name, the Museum cares for, interprets, and creates exhibitions and programs related to its distinctive world-class collection of approximately 13,000 works of American art from colonial times to contemporary art, including one of the most extensive collections of Native American art in the Northeast, outside of New York City. In addition, MAM recently launched the Vance Wall Art Education Center, establishing the footing for enhanced educational outreach, programs and activities for people of all ages. The Center encompasses all our educational efforts, including the busy Yard School of Art, now near capacity with over 2,000 students currently enrolled, and nearly 30,000 alumni. Our vision for the future of education is both programmatic and physical, both on- and off-site, and includes partnerships with area elementary schools, colleges and universities, as well as other cultural organizations.
Assistant Director, Membership & Annual Fund reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for stewarding MAM’s approximately 3,500 household membership base, including strategy, design and implementation of short and long-range membership plans and the growth of low to mid-range individual giving ($1-$5,000). Full-time, year-round position. Some weekend/evening work as needed.
Director of Development
- Manage and mentor Development Associate, Membership & Affiliate Programs
- Develop annual plans for stewardship, renewal, and upgrades for current members, with a focus on upper category members (capable of $165-$5,500 annually)
- Develop strategies to acquire new members, convert visitors and launch new programs to secure membership revenue
- Regularly evaluate effectiveness of current membership program and improve program effectiveness and efficiency
- Develop and manage the annual membership operating budget
- Generate reports to measure results of membership campaigns, and overall membership retention and growth
- Update Museum Membership lists and prepare reports on Annual Giving, Membership, Visitors, and Budget
- Work with Marketing and Communications department to implement promotions, partnerships, and communications (mail and e-coms) that promote membership experience and enhance visitor conversion
- Work with store manager and reception to optimize onsite acquisition efforts
- Design and implement the Museum's plan for annual giving ($1-$5,000) including the writing, production and distribution for a fall direct mail appeal (year-end giving) followed by a second mailing in the spring
- Update the Annual Fund donor plaque and all related donor recognition, including the planning and implantation of an Annual Fund donor recognition event
- Increase annual fund giving from members
- Identify donors for major gift potential
- Develop the Annual Fund operating budget and monitor throughout the year
- 5+ years of Museum membership or other non-profit experience working with all levels of donors. Degree in Arts Administration, Art History, Museum Studies, and/or other liberal arts discipline preferred
- Familiarity with marketing principals are a plus; fundraising & organizing special events experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to prepare written communications and attention to detail, excellent organizational skills are a high priority
- Proven ability to manage and mentor junior staff, and work both independently and collaboratively to achieve departmental and Museum-wide goals
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with people of all levels and backgrounds and pitch in when necessary
- Familiarity with PCs, Microsoft Office, & web-based communication platforms
- Experience in using fundraising software for prospect and contact management strongly preferred
- Occasional weekend/evening event work required
Physical demands: occasional evening and weekend demands; sitting, walking, standing, climbing stairs, lifting no more than 5 – 10 lbs.
Special environmental factors: none
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements, in PDF format only, to email@example.com. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Montclair Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The company does not tolerate discrimination against any employee, and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals without regard to race, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, gender identity or expression, disability, liability for military service, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.