Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 170 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
Job Title: Legal Assistant for Africa
Department: Global Legal Program
The Role: The Center's Africa Office is looking for an enthusiastic, resourceful and highly organized Assistant with a commitment to reproductive rights issues to engage in a variety of projects related to the Africa office based in Nairobi, Kenya.
This position is full time, based in Nairobi, beginning July 23, 2018.
Responsibilities: Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing administrative support to the Africa team, including: maintaining calendars and scheduling meetings, handling travel arrangements, processing reimbursements/cash advances, drafting, mailing of correspondence, making copies and maintaining filing systems,
- Assisting with organization and coordination of program-related events,
- Drafting and monitoring partnership agreements and service contracts,
- Processing and monitoring financial transactions of staff in the United States and in the regional office, including preparation of reimbursement requests and expense reports,
- Assisting with research, drafting, and preparing materials for publication or submission to formal legal bodies,
- Editing, proof- reading, fact-checking, and cite-checking letters, reports, legal submissions, and other institutional publications,
- Drafting and editing program material for listservs,
- Tracking and incorporating data for the organization's monitoring and evaluation system and other institutional processes,
- Work with the Communications Department to coordinate publication processes,
- Keep Center clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress and
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses and ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed.
- Assist with the organization and maintenance of the Africa Program SharePoint site and Nairobi office site, uploading required information on time,
- Store inventory management,
- Support the updating of assets list and its tracking,
- Organize the office storage room and publications,
- Provide administrative support to members of the Africa team,
- Office Services and Other Responsibilities: meet and greet guests; drafting and mailing of correspondence, sign for packages and mail, answering phones,
- Assist in backing up office services functions as needed (kitchen, copying and distribution of documents, conference room scheduling, help desk, filing, etc.),
- Assisting with budgeting and/or planning processes. Keeping track of budget-related and work planning deadlines and
- Provide any other administrative tasks, as needed.
- A. degree or equivalent is required.
- Preference for at least 1 years' experience as an assistant in a not-for profit organization.
- 2 or more years of experience in an administrative position.
- Strong commitment to reproductive rights and women's human rights issues.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, writing)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint) and the internet.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication (oral and writing) skills.
- Excellent time-management skills, with attention to detail, accuracy, and pacing.
- Ability to treat all employees with cooperation and respect, consider the perspectives of other departments, and to be helpful in resolving conflicts.
- Willingness to be hands-on and develop knowledge of Operations.
- Ability to handle and keep all confidential matters appropriately.
- Have the capability to multitask and adjust priorities as needed. Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
Critical Position Behaviors:
- Collaborative: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups. A willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Innovative: Demonstrated ability to be innovative and highly productive, with a focus on excellence in a high energy, fast moving, deadline-oriented environment
- Initiative: Effectively responds to pressure or crisis situations and acts professionally. Uses resources well. Follows through on ideas, assignments and open issues. Must possess a "can-do" and "will-do" attitude.
- Commitment to learning: Applies a growth mentality to their own development and pushes self and others to work out of comfort zone. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center's high standards and mission.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Adaptive/flexible: Has a can do/will do attitude and demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk-taking.
- Empathy: An empathetic, approachable team player who engenders trust and confidence, with an inherent ability to interact positively with all members of the Center staff.
- Independent Worker/Thinker: Must have the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Confident: Must possess and exhibit a level of confidence in themselves and his/her work but be able to take direction and criticism professionally.
- Results Oriented: Ability to achieve results and complete assignments in a timely manner.
How to Apply
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information of three references must be include in your application. It is encouraged to include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for Application: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they come in and we will not hold the position open for any specific time period. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by June 20th, 2018.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.