New York Common Pantry is one of New York City’s largest single-site community based food pantries. Since opening in 1980 as a small neighborhood pantry serving 30 families, what was originally called Yorkville Common Pantry has grown into New York City’s most innovative emergency food provider offering meals and support services to nearly 400,000 individuals.
Primary Purpose of Job: Take a lead role to create corporate and foundation grant proposals as well as interim and final reports; contribute to government grant proposals as needed. Manage grants calendar. Carry out prospect research on new funders; contact with new and existing funders by email, phone, and in person; proposal budgeting; and other duties, as assigned.
Report to the Senior Director of Development and Communications.
- Develop funder inquiries and write and submit proposals under the direction of the Senior Director of Development
- Submit supplementary materials to complete interim and final reports.
- Establish contacts with new and existing funders; hold person-to-person calls and meetings as appropriate.
- Take a coordinating role with program, fiscal and other staff on grant-development teams.
- Prepare research on prospective institutional funders; take part in budget-projection process.
- Lead responsibility for maintaining proposal calendar and tracking tools.
- Assist with grant processing procedures.
- Maintain donor records in electronic formats, and hardcopy as needed.
- Develop reports using FundEZ fundraising software as directed.
- Draft periodic newsletter updates and social media posts.
- Contribute to special events and projects as part of the Development team.
- Carry out other assignments as directed by the Senior Director of Development.
- BA Degree and minimum of three years grant writing experience.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills (writing samples required).
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Comfort in a fast-paced work environment and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to interact and engage with funders, volunteers, and other supporters.
- Ability to work in cross-department teams with other NYCP staff.
- Knowledge of computer software including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, project management software a plus.
- Knowledge of FundEZ or other fundraising database software.
- Familiarity with NYC foundation and corporate funders a plus.
How to Apply
Send email and cover letter to email@example.com.