Based in Athens, OH, ReUse Industries (“RU”) is a 24-year-old non-profit social enterprise that operates several retail outlets, Athens Makerspace, the RU Tool Library and associated workforce training, community engagement and entrepreneurial support activities. By successfully managing and merchandizing over 250 tons of discarded materials annually, RU creates jobs, employment training and revenue to invest in its programs and facilities in support of makers, fixers, innovators, trainees and entrepreneurs across the socioeconomic spectrum. Through these activities, RU fulfills its triple-bottom-line sustainable economic development mission of building and growing the zero waste economy. RU achieved a tripling of its budget and workforce since 2012 and has long-standing, widespread community support from donors, patrons, volunteers and numerous partner organizations. Earned revenue represents a majority of RU’s projected budget over the coming years and is essential to long term sustainability of Athens MakerSpace.
RU seeks a new CEO to oversee its activities, fiscal administration and 9-person team in five core activity areas: 1) a long-standing, high-performing thrift store; 2) Athens MakerSpace, a newly-established 5,000 square-foot facility with tools and workspaces for woodworking, metalworking, fabric-fiber arts, 3D printing, laser cutting, electronics and other creative disciplines; 3) a new retail store adjacent to the makerspace focusing on fabric/yarn/sewing supplies, books, art, vintage clothing and upcycled products; 4) a material processing space adjacent to the new store and makerspace that houses an upcycled product-making studio and an online store providing high-end and vintage fabric to artisans and designers; and 5) workforce training in all activity areas with an emphasis on lean manufacturing principles/systems and essential workplace skills.
The ReUse Industries Board of Directors.
Management and Administration
- Prepare annual and multi-year budgets to be approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure adequate cash flow and responsible fiscal management.
- Provide a monthly Quickbooks-based P&L statement to the Board of Directors for review.
- Provide monthly sales reports for all retail areas to the Board of Directors.
- Lead and support a management and supervision structure that ensures continued operation of the ReUse Industries retail operation, Makerspace, and other programmatic activities.
- Provide a workplace environment that is supportive of staff, volunteers, and trainees, ensuring their responsibilities and skills are appropriate for carrying out the organization’s mission successfully.
- Conduct job searches and appoint staff as needed.
- Assure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
Retail and Product-making Operations
- Oversee and support leadership of the RU thrift store, ReUse on Union Store, online Athens FabMaker store (Etsy) and upcycled product development/sales.
- Lead development, execution and continuous improvement of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all related workforce training activities, including hands-on participation in these activities as needed.
- Evaluate retail performance and adjust personnel, space management and/or material management to increase revenue and training performance as warranted.
- Oversee the Makerspace Manager and assist in makerspace operations as needed.
- Work with RU Board, staff and volunteers including makerspace members to increase public awareness of the makerspace and attract makerspace patrons and supporters.
- Direct coordination and systemization of RU workforce training across all RU activities based primarily on lean manufacturing principles/systems (5S, Six Sigma).
- Improve and refine workforce training activities leading to RU capacity to deliver micro-credentials, badges and/or portfolios that assist trainees in occupational advancement.
Resource and Constituent Management and Development
- Work with the Board to establish, refine and achieve revenue goals and strategies.
- Manage relationships with grantors, donors, supporters and partners.
- Identify and aid in writing grant applications as needed.
- Work with the Administrator/Bookkeeper to ensure timely submission of all reports, invoices and communications relating to RU grants, subawards and contracts.
- Maintain positive, ongoing relationships with all RU constituents.
- Work with the Board to develop and execute an annual local fundraising appeal.
- Participate in RU events as a visible leader.
- Communicate effectively with the Board between meetings, through committee participation, and emails with Board members as ReUse Industries’ leading volunteers.
This position provides direct supervisory responsibilities for the following positions:
- Columbus Road Thrift Store Leader(s)
- Retail and Production Manager (ReUse on Union, Athens FabMaker)
- Athens Makerspace Manager
- Americorps and/or Americorps*VISTA Member(s)
Required: Five years of relevant experience or Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business or related field; strong record of community-based activities. Preferred: social enterprise or similar experience in an entrepreneurial, outcome-focused environment.
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
For best consideration send COVER LETTER and RESUME in one .PDF document to email@example.com *and* complete survey (https://goo.gl/forms/6lzhuGztBtC5EQeF3) by Friday, July 27, 2018.