Goodwill NYNJ is the largest of the Goodwill affiliates with over 40 retail locations and drop off centers in the greater NY metropolitan area, including Long Island, Westchester, upstate New York and northern New Jersey. The stores and its back-office warehouse operations support Goodwill NYNJ’s main mission of providing training for individuals with disabilities in the job skills that will help them obtain employment. It also provides as an on-the-job training ground for those it serves as well as giving them the income needed to gain financial independence.
Goodwill extends its impact by operating over 40 human services programs for people with disabilities and barriers to employment and a staffing agency that places people with disabilities in office jobs. With its main headquarters in Astoria, New York, Goodwill NYNJ’s social enterprise model generates revenue that enables Goodwill to produce tremendous social impact with a strategy that is financially sustainable and resourced to drive innovation.
As a social enterprise with tremendous opportunities to increase scale and grow mission impact, Goodwill NYNJ is always looking to find the best practices to make all aspects of the operation as efficient and economical that they can be. As such, it relies on its finance staff to closely monitor business units, analyze business and program opportunities and drive an ongoing planning process. Importantly, we also need financial management professionals that are focused on driving improvements to Goodwill NYNJ’s financial management systems to improve efficiencies. It is the job of the Deputy Controller to ensure that the dollars are appropriate accounted for and that the retail operations systems operate with a financially sustainable strategy.
The Deputy Controller at Goodwill NYNJ will serve as a key member of the finance team. Reporting directly to the Corporate Controller, the Deputy Controller will be primarily responsible for its retail operations, including financial management, planning and reporting, budget development, and general accounting. The Deputy Controller will play a critical role in strengthening and overseeing fiscal management systems and achieving Goodwill NYNJ’s goals by ensuring cross-departmental communication and informing strategic revenue generation.
The Deputy Controller is an important part of the finance team and it is critical that he or she be capable of integrating smoothly into the senior management at Goodwill NYNJ, fitting into the organization’s culture. In conjunction with the Corporate Controller and the CFO, he or she will provide counsel and support to the CEO and the Board of Directors, on all financial matters, as well as work on various strategic initiatives. He or she will work with the executive and finance staff in a supportive and direct manner with a minimum of ego. He or she will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, and the ability to address and solve problems or issues as they arise. In addition, it is expected that he or she will be diplomatic, will operate with the highest integrity, and will possess sound judgment - as well as a sense of humor.
Provide support to the Corporate Controller and CFO in leading the department.
- Facilitate key people management work processes.
- Update job descriptions as jobs evolve and administer the staff evaluation process.
Provide thought leadership with respect to project management, process management, continuous improvement and financial planning and analysis.
- Organize and manage a variety of projects including the annual budget, implementation of new work processes, technology assessment and implementation, and procurement of new services.
- Assess departmental work process and identify opportunities to improve work efficiency through automation.
- Establish benchmarks to measure operational performance.
- Develop ways to work more effectively with banking partners to improve treasury operations.
Provide oversite of retail operations and create retail expertise cluster.
- Refine and streamline retail accounting processes.
- Establish retail planning and analysis capacity to support the continued success of the retail operations.
Lead efforts to perform financial analysis that will inform planning for business units and human services programs.
- Create standard analysis that will be used to routinely assess the financial health of individual programs and businesses, as well as the organization as a whole.
- Establish and codify the creation of new retail operations models to evaluate new stores and operational investments.
Facilitate department role in the selection and implementation of an ERP system, participating in efforts to define user requirements, select system and coordinate configuration and implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related discipline.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited university in finance, management, public administration, or a related field and/or CPA preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Goodwill NYNJ
- Minimum of five years of executive level management experience in a multi-faceted financial operation with significant budgeting and accounting responsibility, ideally with experience in retail operations.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Demonstrated process management and technology implementation experience.
- Knowledge of internal control systems used for general accounting principles and specialized accounting practices and procedures.
- Acumen in maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing, and operational use.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial data.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines while paying exceptionally close attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative, think strategically and collaborate with others.
- Dynamic, fast learner who is highly organized, analytical and detail oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Navision/Microsoft Dynamics is a plus.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For more information about Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey, Inc., please visit their website at www.goodwillnynj.org.
How to Apply
Goodwill NYNJ has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Senior Director and COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “Goodwill Deputy Controller” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.