At the Colorado "I Have A Dream Foundation we provide individualized social, emotional, and academic support to young people from low-income communities from kindergarten all the way through college, along with guaranteed tuition support. We believe that when given equal access to the resources they need to succeed, all children can ignite their innate potential and achieve their dreams. Since Colorado "I Have A Dream" was founded, 30 years ago, we have served 1170 young people ("Dreamers") in Denver.
The Colorado "I Have A Dream" Foundation works to ensure that all children have the opportunity to pursue higher education, fulfill their potential, and achieve their dreams. We empower children ("Dreamers") in low-income communities to graduate from college by equipping them with the skills and knowledge to succeed in postsecondary school, along with tuition support to remove financial barriers. By helping our dreamers gain access to college, we are putting them on a different trajectory, while having a broader impact on the students' families and generations that follow.
Our comprehensive support and advocacy model provides: mentoring, academic enrichment services, social emotional supports, cultural exploration activities, experiential learning, community service projects, internship and corporate networking experiences, collegiate coaching and tuition assistance for higher education. One of the most critical and beneficial aspects of our program model is the fact that these supports are in place for 12 years.
The Colorado "I Have A Dream" Foundation's mission is to empower children from low-income communities to succeed in school, college, and career by providing academic social, and emotional support from elementary through college, along with postsecondary tuition assistance.
Our dream is a world where every child has equal access to the educational and career opportunities that will ignite their innate potential.
We now seek a skilled Vice-President of Development to lead our efforts to build a sustainable financial platform for this transformative work.
The Vice-President of Development leads all foundation, corporate, and individual donor fundraising activities to support the Colorado I Have a Dream Foundation’s work and the achievement of its mission.
President & CEO
The Vice-President of Development works closely with the President & CEO to develop fundraising goals and to build a comprehensive fundraising program that maximizes support for the organization and its activities. The position carries a mixed portfolio of responsibilities with an emphasis on cultivating and stewarding individual major gift prospects and donors.
The Vice-President of Development also works closely with the Board of Directors and supports them in their own philanthropic efforts.
The Vice-President of Development currently supervises one staff member as well as a contract grant writer.
Qualified candidates will have a strong, demonstrated commitment to the Colorado I Have a Dream Foundation’s mission. Specific work experience in youth development, education, and building economic self-sufficiency is a plus but not required. Other specific skills needed in this position include the following:
- Minimum of six years of fundraising experience, including making and closing major gift solicitations.
- Experience in developing and executing annual fundraising plans of at least $2 million.
- Knowledge of and experience with Denver and Colorado philanthropic communities highly preferred.
- Some experience with large capital, endowment, or other targeted campaigns preferred.
- Team management experience required and demonstrated ability to function effectively as a member of a team, ensuring close coordination and integration with other staff members in functions across the organization and across locations.
- Experience in hiring, developing, and assessing the performance of staff members.
- Experience in developing and tracking financial performance of a department or function.
Communication & Relationship Management
- Strong experience in building and maintaining long term relationships with foundation, corporate, and individual donors.
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteer boards, as well as working with volunteers to fundraise successfully.
- Experience in partnering with staff and volunteers to cultivate and steward donors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with organizational skills.
- Self-motivated; able to multi-task with excellent attention to detail and deadlines; can perform successfully without regular supervision.
- Entrepreneurial; willing to take calculated risks and to try innovative approaches.
- Collaborative by nature, collegial, seeks to build relationships with a wide variety of people internally and externally.
- Excited about the work of the Colorado I Have a Dream Foundation and can build that enthusiasm in others.
- Flexible, open-minded, creative, willing to pitch in when needed.
- Proficiency with complex databases or donor management software.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
How to Apply
If these qualities describe you, then we encourage you to apply for this leadership position. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at email@example.com. All applications are to be submitted electroncially.
To learn more about our work and this position, please visit us at www.cihadf.org.
The Colorado I Have a Dream Foundation is committed to equal opportunity and does not discriminate against its employees, member organizations, clients or the public on the basis of race, creed, color. Religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, age, gender or gender variance, sexual orientation, or veteran status. This policy of non discrimination prevails throughout every aspect of employment, including recruitment, selection, placement, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall, and termination. It also prevails throughout all client and volunteer activities.