Since 1999, YES Nature to Neighborhoods (YES) has immersed thousands of under-represented Richmond and West Contra Costa County youth and families in nature, providing pathways for residents to become leaders in their community. Facilitated experiences in safe outdoor spaces foster a sense of discovery and openness for participants, and serve as a catalyst for cross-cultural interaction and engagement in community issues. YES connects these outdoor camp experiences to home by creating leadership pathways for youth and adults through programming that inspires participants to lead healthy, connected lives; motivate change in their neighborhoods; and build a safe, thriving community. For more information visit www.yesfamilies.org.
YES Nature to Neighborhoods’ primary office is in Richmond, California and is shared by 8+ full-time staff as well as volunteer, intern, and participant visitors. The work environment is focused and fast-paced. The Development Assistant must be able to function in a busy environment; frequently use hands (computer and hand-written work); use computer; sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, occasionally lift and carry 30 or more pounds; correspond with supervisor effectively by email, phone, and video chat. Must have reliable/own transportation.
The Development Assistant is a part-time, 18-20 hours per week position with responsibility for supporting administrative and research tasks related to the fundraising efforts that make YES’s work possible.
The position will be supervised by the Development & Communications Manager.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Foundation Grant Management and Support (40%)
- Manage and track grant application and reporting deadlines; maintain database records.
- Research new foundations and grant opportunities and prepare summaries of findings for Development & Communications Manager.
- Manage relationship cultivation tasks and deadlines.
- Conduct research to strengthen YES’s “Statement of Need” for grant proposals.
- Additional miscellaneous administrative tasks as needed.
Database and Donor/Supporter Cultivation (35%)
- Database management and data entry (SalesForce, Microsoft Excel).
- Perform mail merges (i.e. for thanking donors).
- Address handwritten envelopes for donor thank-yous and other large mailings.
- Use YES’s online YES photo database to locate and prepare photos for projects including grant reports, social media, print and e-communications, etc. (Google Photos, Microsoft Picture Manager, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Assist in generating eNewsletters and eBlasts (Constant Contact)
- Social and digital media: create short videos, edit photos, etc. (iMovie, Photoshop, other).
- Support regular posts to YES’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instragram).
Event Support (10%)
- Event set-up, clean-up, and general assistance.
- Preparation of event materials.
- Manage and track sponsorships and vendors.
There is room for growth depending on an applicant’s skills and interests.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Dedication to YES’s mission and work.
- Thoroughness, with excellent attention to detail.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Quick learner, efficient.
- Computer- and web-savvy.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, and skill with/aptitude for additional software described above.
- Neat handwriting, print or script.
- Availability to work on site in Richmond at least 4 days per week. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED
- Experience working in an online CRM database, especially Salesforce.
- Proficiency with Photoshop and/or InDesign.
- Previous work experience with aspects of the areas of responsibility outlined above.
The Development Assistant is a part-time, 18-20 hour/week position. Pay range is $19-20/hour DOE.
How to Apply
Please email a thoughtful resume and cover letter with Development Assistant included in the subject line to Claire McMurtry: email@example.com. Application deadline is July 31st. Desired start date is mid- or late-August.