Reporting to the Deputy Director, Communications, provide support for Yale's fundraising efforts by researching, drafting, and preparing a variety of high-level print and digital publications including proposals, case statements, white papers, brochures, news articles, gift announcements, website content, emails, and other communications, with a particular focus on materials in support of the university's fundraising priorities in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, math). Edit and translate/rework source material provided by others into compelling campaign communications that make the case for support of identified science priorities at Yale. Collaborate with the director of development for science strategy, other fundraising leadership, the office of the vice provost for research, relevant faculty, and others to gain a thorough understanding of Yale's vision for the sciences and play a key role in determining campaign messaging around science priorities. Successful candidate will have a strong knowledge of general science and the ability to convey complicated science concepts and experimental work to a lay audience.
- Drafts, formats, proofreads, and edits written materials.
- Conducts background research and interviews subject-matter experts as well as students, professors, donors and other individuals to provide content for publications.
- Proactively researches and suggests content to support and reinforce the University’s fundraising goals.
- Coordinates the production of publications and other communications.
- Manage writing projects.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated exceptional written communications skills. Science writing samples required. The ability to write clearly and elegantly, concisely, quickly, and effectively is essential, as is the ability to adapt writing style to a variety of audiences and publications.
- Demonstrated organizational and research abilities, with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of fundraising and/or higher education, demonstrated ability writing materials in support of fundraising for the sciences.
- Ability to prioritize work, juggle multiple tasks, meet deadlines in a time-constrained environment, and work effectively with staff across the university, including high-level administrators and faculty.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field and three years of experience writing and editing in a professional setting or equivalent combination of education and experience.