Background: Catholic Charities of Oregon (CC) is a highly regarded, innovative and rapidly growing leader in Oregon's non-profit sector with a mission to partner with the most vulnerable to achieve lasting solutions to poverty and injustice. The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be a dynamic development professional with skills, vision and experience to lead CC into the next phase of the agency's growth. The CDO will lead efforts to partner with CC’s diverse clients and supporters in developing and funding innovative, bold and sustainable initiatives to meet community needs including ending homelessness, building strong and resilient families from all cultures, championing justice for immigrants, supporting refugees, and creating pathways to financial empowerment for all of CC's 25,000 clients.
The CDO is responsible for increasing CC's fundraising capacity to achieve its vision and strategic goals through a strengthened culture of philanthropy. Specifically, the CDO is responsible for the vision and successful organization and execution of all development initiatives including major gifts, direct mail campaigns, planned giving, foundation grants, corporate partnerships, government funding, special events, volunteerism, and capital campaigns.
Furthermore, the CDO will lead all media, marketing, and communications initiatives. The CDO is a chief spokesperson representing the organization to constituencies, both internal and external. They also ensure legal compliance and best practices for gift administration and records management to ensure excellent stewardship of the entire donor process. This position will lead a team of seven and will report to the Executive Director. They will serve on the Executive Director’s leadership team and will also work closely with the Board of Directors, senior staff and other keys stakeholders.
Create and Lead Fund Development Strategy:
- Craft a comprehensive development strategy to enable sustainable growth of CC’s unrestricted and restricted funding.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen CC’s existing advancement strategies including direct mail campaigns, major gifts, foundation and corporate funding, special events, and planned giving.
- In partnership with CC’s Pope Francis Center, develop enhanced strategies to engage parishes, organizations, and individuals in volunteerism.
- Fully develop the potential of the Annual Appeal to the 124 Catholic Parishes in Oregon including renewed and expanded use of parish partners and volunteers.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of donor database integrity; assure design and maintenance of donor/prospect records, gift and prospect management systems and informational reports.
Create and Lead Communications and Marketing Strategy:
- Partner with the Executive Director and staff to define and build an aggressive marketing strategy that ensures consistent institutional messaging and strong "branding" aligned with CC's core values.
- Oversee development and execution of marketing strategies including case statements, brochures, annual reports, social media, and websites.
- Serve as primary point-person for all agency media opportunities and requests.
Lead the Development Team:
- Lead the Development team, building on its culture and productivity as a positive, cohesive, highly functioning group.
- Identify and manage implementation of professional development opportunities for team growth.
- Provide oversight of all of the organization’s fund development activities, manage the day-to-day operations of the development function, and monitor adequacy of activities through coordination with the Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, other senior staff and appropriate Board committees.
- Oversee performance measures, monitor results and help the Executive Director and Board of Directors evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s fund development, communications, and programs.
Lead External Relationships with Current and Potential Donors & Partners:
- Lead relationship-building strategy and activities with major individual, foundation, and corporate donors, personally developing relationships with key partners and prospective donors.
- Continually build CC’s pipeline of potential supporters, building on referrals from Board members, current advocates, and research.
- Coach senior staff (Executive Director, Program Directors & Managers, etc.) and Board members on how to effectively fundraise, helping them to identify potential donors, cultivate potential donors, and steward ongoing donors.
- Serve as primary staff lead for the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Partner with the Chief Financial Officer for budget development and management; assure sound fiscal operation of the development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Manage relationships with vendors to ensure efficient use of organizational resources.
- Participate in trainings and coordination meetings as requested by Supervisor.
- Adherence to CC’s policies and procedures.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; CFRE preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to strengthen infrastructure, to inspire donors, staff and the Board of Directors, and to develop effective development programs.
- A minimum of 5 years’ senior management experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated major gift and planned giving fundraising experience with individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Documented experience and quantifiable success in key development strategies including donor segmentation, research and cultivation.
- Commitment to Catholic Charities mission to work in partnership with vulnerable populations to achieve lasting solutions to poverty and injustice.
- Exceptional financial, organizational and administrative skills.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing; excellent public speaking skills; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other fundraising materials.
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
- Excellent proficiency in all programs of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Salesforce strongly preferred.
- Demonstrate judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to work well in team setting, as well as independently; be flexible and adapt well to different dynamics in a fast paced work environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which could include some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to support organizational and program specific mission and goals.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Must have driver’s license, access to vehicle and ability to obtain automobile insurance at levels required by agency (100/300/100).
- Satisfactory results from criminal, civil and/or motor vehicle background check required.
Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience. Competitive benefits package, including: 100% employer paid health insurance (employee portion), disability, life insurance, paid time off, 12 paid holidays, retirement plan, free parking and more.
How to Apply
TO APPLY: Submit your application, resume and cover letter at https://catholiccharitiesoregon.applicantpro.com/jobs/