Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Safe Horizon offers a variety of programs for victims of crimes and domestic violence, including the provision of emergency and temporary housing in residential facilities.
The Assistant Director Facilities Management supervises and manages a staff of assigned custodial maintenance staff that provide a full range of maintenance services in Safe Horizon’s network of residential shelters. Reporting to the Director Facilities, the Assistant Director will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day activities of the assigned staff to ensure that assigned facilities are maintained in a safe, clean, and friendly manner, that required safety procedures are in place, that basic facility infrastructure such as HVAC systems, boilers, and appliances, are operated and maintained in a safe and professional manner, and that the facility complies with all applicable regulatory requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
- For assigned shelters, ensure that residential facilities are maintained in a clean and safe manner at all times;
- Train, assign and provide supervision of assigned FPM shelter site staff;
- Work closely with Director to evaluate staff performance and recommend personnel action as appropriate in accordance with agency policies standards and procedures
- Develop and assist with implementation of daily workflow, schedules and work projects at each assigned shelter site
- Ensure by periodic weekly inspections that basic regular daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance tasks are satisfactorily completed;
- Helps maintain maintenance standards and ensure that facilities meet those standards;
- Utilize web-based applications and other resources to manage and monitor staff responsiveness to work tickets, to identify problems and trends and to devise and implement changes as needed to address issues;
- Conduct periodic inventory of furniture, appliances, supplies, equipment and machinery;
- Travel to assigned facilities on a regular weekly basis to keep up-to-date with staff and any/all arising issues at each site;
- Closely coordinate with Shelter Program Directors to ensure that custodial and maintenance tasks are addressed in a timely manner;
Shelter maintenance and support staff;
- Program managers and staff:
- Governmental regulatory and oversight agencies including DOB, FDNY, NYSOCSF;
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to provide concise and clear direction to staff in both verbal and written form;
- Ability to direct the activities of staff and consultants/contractors;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner;
- Must demonstrate the ability to work independently.
- Technological competency and good organizational skills;
- Experience with supportive housing and non-profit organizations;
- Strong customer service skills, an ability to be perceptive of others, and proven ability to build strong relationships and collaborate with others;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with a background in residential facilities operations required;
- Minimum 2 years supervising maintenance workers in a facilities management environment required;
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs of New York City
- Valid New York State drivers’ license with no suspensions and fewer than three points required;
- Certificate or certification in a building trade, maintenance, building systems or building equipment repair desired;
- Familiarity with principles of budgeting, accounting and inventory management;
- Working knowledge of key New York City, State, and Federal regulatory requirements such as NYCDOHMH, NYCHPD, NYCDOB, FDNY, OSHA, etc. required;
- Willingness to respond to issues that arise after normal business hours required;
- Track record of success developing appropriate safety and/or service plans to alleviate risk and provide protection in case of fire or other emergency situations.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employmentAmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
How to Apply
Apply online via the following link: https://safehorizon.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=551