Location: 3333 K Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20007
Department: Office of Compliance and Enforcement
Employment Status: Regular/Full-Time/Exempt
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country’s single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. Established in 1974, LSC operates as an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation that promotes equal access to justice and provides grants for high-quality civil legal assistance. LSC currently funds 133 independent, nonprofit legal aid organizations with nearly 800 offices throughout the nation.
Basic Function: Under the general supervision of the Director of the Office of Compliance and Enforcement (OCE) or his/her designee, participates in compliance reviews of grantee programs; addresses written and oral questions/complaints regarding grantee program compliance; identifies and documents areas of weakness in specific grantee programs and in the LSC compliance system, and makes recommendations for program improvements; conducts on-site reviews and investigations and develops corrective actions for grantee program improvement; and reviews program policy submissions. Extensive travel is required. This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by the International Federation of Professional & Technical Engineers, Local 135.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and/or participates in desk and on-site compliance reviews of LSC grantee delivery of legal assistance. Organizes and plans the review team’s work (when leading a visit), conducts interviews of recipient staff members; reviews and analyzes documents and case files; makes regulatory compliance determinations; identifies and documents areas of compliance weakness; makes recommendations for program improvement and shares best practices; and drafts and produces reports on review findings.
- Develops and manages required corrective action plans on behalf of OCE management.
- Reviews and follows-up on findings and complaints referred by the LSC Office of Inspector General regarding recipient’s compliance with the LSC Act, appropriations acts, regulations, and other applicable laws, including developing or drafting documents for regulatory proceedings.
- Investigates, evaluates, and pursues through to completion questioned costs proceedings under 45 C.F.R. Part 1630.
- Drafts program letters and policy language to implement and interpret requirements of the LSC Act.
- Coordinates with other LSC departments to address matters related to regulation interpretation and compliance.
- Works with the Office of Legal Affairs and OCE Director to review and revise current, and develop new, regulations, as appropriate.
- Reviews and investigates complaints involving alleged regulation violations and inquiries received from the public regarding LSC grantees, and makes recommendations regarding their resolution.
- Researches and responds to compliance-related questions from LSC grantees.
- Serves as a speaker and/or trainer on matters relevant to LSC grantees.
- Assists in the formulation of internal policies and procedures pertaining to onsite reviews and training programs (onsite and via web).
- Reviews and evaluates grantee annual and semi-annual report submissions for adequacy and recommends appropriate follow-up, as necessary.
- Participates in the annual funding competition process by providing recommendations regarding funding term length and/or the imposition of special grant conditions.
- Reviews and makes recommendations concerning grantee requests for prior approval to utilize LSC funds under relevant regulations and the Property Acquisition and Management Manual. Drafts required documents and letters.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding grantee requests for annual approval and periodic modification of subgrants under LSC regulations.
- Works directly with the Director and/or his or her designee on special projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to produce professional, clear, well-written work product that requires minimal editing. Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to reach different audiences and manage conflicts.
Experience analyzing complicated concepts and offering cogent conclusions. Unimpeachable integrity and adherence to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism. Ability to function in a discreet, diplomatic, and confidential matter. Must possess sound judgment and articulate well-informed and objective recommendations. Ability to understand trends that affect LSC, its grantees and their clients. Ability to conduct thorough investigations through the use of reviews, effective interviewing, research, and application of relevant regulatory authority. Must be conscientious, disciplined, versatile, and highly motivated. High degree of flexibility, capacity for self-management, and attentive to detail. Strong organizational skills; adaptable and able to manage multiple priorities with shifting and/or competing priorities and tight deadlines. Understanding of and commitment to organizational mission and goals. Ability to influence, motivate, challenge, and inspire confidence among others. Ability to work well with persons from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and working styles.
A law degree from an accredited law school and admission to the Bar of the highest court in a jurisdiction. Must be in good legal standing. Must have at least five (5) years of experience in the practice of law for a Program Counsel II position or at least eight (8) years of experience in the practice of law for a Program Counsel III position. Must possess excellent research and analytical skills. Experience conducting compliance investigations or reviews. Capacity to interpret the LSC Act, Appropriations Riders, LSC regulations, policies and rules.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Program Counsel II: $102,412
Salary range: $102,412 - $115,350
Program Counsel III: $116,963
Salary range: $116,963 - $131,738
LSC has a competitive market-based salary structure that establishes a specific salary range for this position. The salary range has eight pay levels separated by seven steps. A new employee will be hired at Step 1 and must wait two years to advance to each of the next three steps (Steps 2 through 4), and one year to advance to each of the next four steps (Steps 5 through 8).
Excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a complete application (provide ALL of the information requested and answer ALL of the questions) and attach a résumé and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Apply directly on our website at: www.lsc.gov/about-lsc/careers
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571 or email@example.com.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends on creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, place of residence or business, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone. LSC is an equal opportunity employer.